Chapter 13

The ruins of the temple loomed high overhead. The giant stone double doors were ajar, carved with symbols of torment and death. Standing in silent vigil over the doors were two twenty-foot tall statues of hideous snarling lions. From the rents and deep pits along their surface, they had fared only slightly better than the surrounding buildings.

The true sentries of the gate consisted of two infantrymen. From their stance and demeanor they seemed bored, but kept up their watch lest they invoke the ire of their master.

Tian and Chase approached the entrance of the temple. Although Chase had seemed confident in their ruse, Tian found himself feeling uneasy. Subterfuge came much easier to the minstrel than him, and so he had agreed to let his companion take the lead.

"How fares the watch," Chase said in a friendly tone as they approached the guards, "long, boring work?"

"As typical," said the guard on the right, "what brings you here this late at night?"

"The warlord is beginning whatever it is that he's doing, and we were ordered to go in to assist him," Chase shrugged, "it's nice to be doing something, but I'm not exactly eager to go in there."

"I don't even like standing beside this place," said the other guard.

Chase nodded his agreement. The first guard regarded Tian, taking in the tabard that he wore. While Chase seemed to blend naturally into whatever costume and environment he found, Tian felt acutely out of place dressed as one of Kharzon's soldiers. Something must have shown through, because the guard addressed him, "What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing," Tian said slowly.

"What's your name?"

"Hey, what's the hold up here," Chase interrupted, "if we're late that'll be our heads. All of our heads."

The guard looked back to Chase, but the threat of Kharzon's anger quieted his concern, "Your friend seems nervous."

"Look at where we're going. Is it any wonder the rookie has a bit of the nerves," the minstrel gave a gruff shove, "personally I told him that he should be grateful for what we're doing here."

"How's that," the second guard said incredulously, "this is the most boring assignment we've had. Creepy, but boring. No one to loot. It's just bad."

"Listen to me, boy," Chase said in a rougher tone, "I've traveled with the Free Companies out of Fang's End. I've seen men slit from navel to nuts, burning oil poured down on them, all for the promise of treasure! Have you heard of the wars that are fought by the Free Companies down in the Holy Land?"

The guard that had questioned Tian nodded, but the incredulous guard shook his head. Chase's eyes gleamed with a perverse horror as he spoke, "Men fight for the treasures of the old empire. People die everyday as their companies give and take land, all to find their treasures. Devices that turn a man to stone, or burn an entire platoon in an instant! Boring? Maybe, but I'll take boredom and steady pay over sure death."

"I didn't mean nothing by it," the younger guard said defensively.

"No, it's I who didn't mean nothing by it. Don't mind me, just what we're doing here reminds me of those poor, dead fools in the Holy Land who meddle with things the world buried long ago," he tossed a skin of wine to the young man, "you two enjoy that. No one will be by for the rest of the night, just don't get too drunk."

"That's what I'm talking about," the older guard finally spoke, "well get in there you two. Don't mind the temple none, rookie, it's just a pile of old stones."

Tian nodded, "I will try my best."

"That's what I like to see," Chase laughed, "a cautious soldier. You'll outlive us all, rookie. Come on."