Chapter 08

The next morning Tian stood by the docks looking for the Sun Dancer. He had little trouble finding the docks, but navigating through the press of the crowd was confusing. So many ships looked identical, but a helpful harbor man had recognized the name of the ship and given him directions.

Dock Nine. The ship was packing on the last bundles of cargo as Tian caught sight of her. It was not a beautiful ship, but it would get him to the Rakhan Desert. Once he picked up the trail of Kharzon, Tian knew that he would find the temple of Xyrix. The maps he had found in the Book of Zaaz corresponded to many modern maps, and he found that the temple was built at the base of a large mountain peak in the center of the desert. Finding it would not be difficult for the young monk.

As Tian neared the Sun Dancer he recognized some of the sailors from their fight back at the Lonely Mermaid Inn. Kayla had not been joking when she said they worked on the ship. For their parts the men all gave Tian a wide berth. A man that he did not recognize caught sight of him and walked over with the confident swagger of a ship's captain.

"Ahoy there," the man yelled as he came across the boarding plank to greet Tian on the dock. He was a large burly man in his late middle years, despite his bulk he moved with the step of a man who was completely at home on a moving ship.

"Hello, sir," Tian replied, "I am supposed to ride with you to Balik."

"Aye," the captain said eagerly, "indeed you are! Having you aboard will put the fear of the gods into my men, and that's enough for me! I'm Captain Trask and you're welcome aboard the Sun Dancer. As a paying guest you'll get the other private room aside from mine. That work for you?"

"That will be just fine, sir."

"None of that, call me Captain! I'm used to it, and more respectful."

"Yes sir, Captain."

The burly captain put an arm around the young monk and laughed with with a gusto, "I'm going to like you, son. You can fight from what I hear, and you're respectful. Come aboard, we'll soon be leaving."

Nodding, Tian shouldered his backpack and prepared to board when something caught his eye. Turning he saw Kayla near on the other end of the dock watching him. The captain boarded the ship as Tian walked over to the young woman. She was dressed in her leathers and was armed as well, with a rucksack on the ground beside her.

"Kayla," Tian smiled despite himself, "I did not think you would be here."

"You did say that you wanted to see me again."

Tian laughed, a short chuckle that seemed so out of place even he looked surprised. Then he smiled and laughed again, more comfortably, "I wanted to ask you to come with me, last night."

"I was going to go with you anyway," she gestured to her bag.

"Please do not."

Kayla's face fell at the words. She did not look surprised, but she was disappointed, "Been thinking about this?"

"Yes," Tian nodded, and then took her by the shoulders and pulled her close. For a long moment he just held her in his arms. They both relaxed into each other, the worries of the world on hold for a single perfect moment. Then Tian pulled back and brought up a hand to tenderly caress Kayla's face before he kissed her. It was not a fierce kiss, instead it was tender and loving. When he finally pulled back, Tian said, "I can finally admit my feelings, but I need someone to come back to, right? You would not want to take that from me?"

This time she was the one who touched his face, as Kayla nodded, "Glory hog."

"True," Tian said as he held her once again, "after all, I am the Chosen One."

Kayla hit him in the stomach playfully, "Me staying constitutes a promise to return on your part."

"Trapped by my own words...it is a deal."

They stayed be each other as the last of the cargo was loaded, not saying anything, just enjoying their last moments together. Neither one wanted to be the first to leave, but the decision was made for them as the captain yelled for Tian, "Tide's moving out! Got to go!"

"That's you," Kayla nudged Tian, "get out of here before I get tired of having you around."

Tian reached down to pick up the backpack he had dropped during their embrace. He felt different after seeing Kayla again, as if there had been a hole inside of him that was now filled. Seeing her was final ingredient to prepare him for what lay ahead. In that moment he felt more than just the calling of duty and justice, more than someone to protect, he was no longer only defending the happiness of everyone else the world, he was defending his own happiness as well.

"I will see you – "

Kayla laid a finger on his lips, "Make happen, don't just say it."

They shared one final kiss, a memory to keep with them, and a promise of the days to come. Then Tian shouldered his bag and boarded the Sun Dancer. He looked back from the edge of the ship as they pulled out of the docks and headed across the vast sea.

Back on the dock, Kayla watched the ship pass out of sight, and for a long time after that.