Chapter 4

*******

The lovely MonaFalah said that if I'll post another chapter I'll be the best person in the world. So here's another one today, I guess I'm okay then 😀 Enjoy

*******

"Mom! Let's go," Daisy impatiently said, scowling as she looked at Camila, who was sat at the bar in the kitchen, a brooding look on her face as she stared at the kitchen counter.

            Lauren walked in, putting a pair of diamond earrings in and trying to stop her purse from slipping from where she had it awkwardly clamped under one arm. Dropping it onto the counter, she opened it up and pulled out a lipstick, touching up her bright red lips, before she put it back in and smiled at the Camila and Daisy. "Everyone ready?"

            "Yeah, mom's just completely blanking on me," Daisy huffed, turning to look at Lauren with a small crease between her eyebrows.

            Realizing that Daisy was right, and Camila hadn't so much as acknowledged her since walking into the room, which was very unlike Camila, who always made a point to comment on how beautiful Lauren looked, whether she was in sweatpants or an expensive dress like the one she was wearing. Reaching out to tuck Daisy's hair behind her ear, Lauren smoothed her hair down and gave her a small smile, "Go and fetch your sister. We'll be leaving in a minute." She waited until she heard Daisy's footsteps disappear before she whirled around and rushed over to Camila, slowing as she approached her. "Camila? Are you okay?" Lauren slowly asked, reaching out to gently touch Camila on the shoulder.

            Jumping slightly at the contact, Camila rapidly blinked, letting out an uneven breath as she came back to her surroundings. Her face split into a wide smile as she looked Lauren up and down. "Sorry, I was just daydreaming. You look fantastic," She said, her eyes sparkling as she drew Lauren close, "Give me a kiss."

            Leaning down to place a soft kiss to her lips, Lauren drew back, cupping Camila's cheek in her hand as she ran a thumb over her cheekbone. She'd been brooding and distracted all week, and Lauren didn't have to guess why, but she hated that Camila wouldn't admit that her memories were bothering her. "Do you want to talk about it?"

            "No," Camila curtly replied, slipping off the stool and fixing her dress, before trailing her fingers along Lauren's shoulder as she brushed past her.

            "Camila," Lauren quietly called after her, "Daisy was talking to you and you completely ignored her. You can't just keep it inside and expect the girls not to notice. I know you don't like talking about it, but-"

            "You're right; I don't," Camila firmly said, "and don't worry, it's not like I'm relapsing again. It's been a while; I'm over it."

            Lauren huffed in frustration, pulling her close by her hand and giving her an exasperated look, "Camila, come on. You know that you're not over it; it's not something you just get over, no matter how long it's been. I know seeing Austin was a shock for you, and you've been thinking about it all week – no, don't even deny it, it's been written all over your face. If you won't talk to me, then maybe you should go back to therapy."

            "Lauren, I've been out of therapy for years," Camila quietly laughed, even though there was no humor in it, "I don't need to go back. I don't need to talk about it. I just ... I need to focus on the girls, and you, and us. All of us. It's all fine, I promise you. You know I always keep my promises."

            She gave Lauren a charming smile, but it didn't make Lauren waver like it usually did, and she pursed her lips as she gave Camila a disapproving look. "Not always in the way I would like," Lauren replied in a clipped tone.