Chapter 5: To Market

"Wait. What?" Lance's head snapped around to Johanna.

She smiled at him, "Hi Lance, I'm Johanna. I'm glad that you can finally see me."

He looked her up and down, not quite believing that she'd not been there a moment before.

"Brother, what are you—Hey! You must be Johanna!"

She curtsied to Matt. "Indeed, I am. Nice to make your acquaintance."

"It's nice to meet you, too," Matt said, elbowing Lance.

"Oh, yes. Very nice to meet you!" Lance said, regaining his senses.

The rain lessened and the thunder ceased its bellowing, which allowed everyone to return to bed. Despite being tired, Mercy's mind was racing. It seemed an enormous coincidence that a forge became an opportunity here, something that Lance might use to establish himself.

Johanna appeared at the foot of her bed before sitting on the edge, her corporeal form making an indentation and moving mattress in the same way as if she'd been a living person.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Mercy asked her after plumping her pillow and settling under the covers.

"That maybe, all this isn't just about you? That maybe, much of this was contrived to benefit Lance, and maybe even Matt, as much as help you get to your own true love?"

"Yes. Exactly that!"

"Then, yes, I'm thinking what you're thinking," Johanna said with a smile.

"Should I send some of the thread with them? Could they exchange it for supplies?"

"Oh, yes. It is fine thread and its value is well known here. The area has been waiting for my apprentice."

"Well then, I'll give them a basket and spin more while they're gone."

Johanna grinned. "That's the beauty of spinning sunshine. You can do it anywhere. Why not set up in the square and spin while they shop? People would better understand its value then."

"Wow! I hadn't thought of that!" Mercy said, sitting up in her excitement. "To find my wheel wherever I am and spin, so long as I had a base fiber..." Mercy daydreamed until Johanna interrupted her.

"There is an issue with just setting up to spin, however. We have a seamstress who lives in town. She does quite the business."

"Oh!" Mercy exclaimed, "I don't want to impede her shop! That would be the rudest thing I could do. Certainly not the way to make friends."

"I might have a plan to work around it," Johanna offered. "Her mother and I had an agreement once: I would use her everyday thread as my base fiber and spin the sunshine or moonlight on it while sitting outside her shop in the square. She would then sell my thread and we would split the profit. It was a good living for both of us. Perhaps you could make that offer for the day if you go?"

Mercy gasped. "Yes! I bet she'd even barter with me for whatever embellishments I might want to have for all three of the dresses."

Johanna agreed with a smile. "So, shall I let her mother know that you'll be coming?"

"Yes, please," Mercy requested. "Wait, you talk to other people besides Dadus?"

"Just a few. Laura's mother, Teresa, is one of them. She was a seamstress of top quality in her time. The woman's embroidery could not be matched. She's rather old and frail now, but Laura seems to have inherited her talent."

"Her talent is fiber arts, too?"

"Oh, no, far from it. Her talent is salesmanship. She can sell anyone just about anything! She just happens to like fashion."

Mercy laughed as she snuggled further under the blankets before stifling a yawn. "She sounds like a useful person to get to know."