Chapter 8: A Second Letter

Mercy saw the courier approach the house on horseback the next day. She stopped weaving and stood in the doorway, waiting for whatever message the man had to deliver to arrive. She had expected a correspondence for Dadus but, when she felt the familiar vellum, sealed with magical wax, she knew the letter was for none other than Matt.

"Many days of happiness to the newly betrothed," the courier said as he handed it to her. He then turned around and returned down the lane.

"Matt! Matt!" Mercy called as she ran to the back of the property where the men were putting the finishing touches on the trellis. "Matt! You have a letter!"

She waved it at him, a grin so wide, it made her cheeks hurt.

"A letter?"

"Yes! A Marriage Letter!"

Matt paused, shocked, before scrambling down the ladder to take the velum from her. He stared at it, uncertain.

"Are you going to stare at it or are you going to open it?" Lance said, punching his twin in the upper arm.

"Cut it out!" Matt demanded, turning from him and walking off to be alone. Everyone watched his back as he opened and read the correspondence.

When he threw his head back and shouted in joy, Lance approached him. Matt eagerly handed it to him which he read out loud.

Dearest Hopeful Citizen Matthew Evertree,

We are honored to inform you of your betrothal to Hopeful Citizen Helena Sanderson of Stormhaven township some thirty miles west of your current abode. It is our understanding that the lovely Ms. Sanderson, while not a magically talented individual it would seem, is of sincere heart and fast wit. Her business sense seems to be quite developed as she is the child of Mrs. Laura Sanderson, a soon-to-be Citizen of no small reputation.

She is of the honorable marriageable age of nineteen, and being of sound mind and healthy body, has been chosen as your betrothed based on our extensive calculations and predictions. The two of you are likely to have an extremely talented child. Your life together will be quite comfortable, and you shall reach Citizenship in a respectable amount of time.

The lovely Ms. Sanderson is, at this time, also being informed of her betrothal and will be expecting your visit within a fortnight's time. Your wedding date should be set no further away than half a year's time following the conclusion of your aide to Ms. Mercy Lane's quest. Please inform your respective Magistrates of the date once decided. We will then arrange for one of our own to perform the Rite of Marriage.

We wish you well with all our hearts, Hopeful Citizen Matthew. May the Gods guide you and keep you forever in their favor.

The Marriage Council of the Borderland

This, the Year of our Faith, Five Hundred and Eighty-Seven

"Helena? Seriously! How fortunate!" Mercy exclaimed. She hugged her friend close, "Oh, Matt, I'm so happy for you!"

"I'm happy for me, too!"

"So, I suppose you will head back to Stormhaven tomorrow?" Dadus asked with a knowing smile. "You can borrow the mare. I've got a saddle and tack for her, though they need some work."

"Well, I guess I know what I'm doing for the rest of the day," Matt said before heading off to the barn. His friends watched him go.

"I'm so glad he's gotten a letter," Lance said, his voice thick with emotion. "I was worried."

Mercy put her arm around her would-be husband and squeezed. "Yeah, me, too. And for it to be Helena! He's smitten with her. What a great love story!"