Chapter 9: The Dress of Sunshine

The hushed voices in the main room of Matt and Lance woke Mercy before dawn. She set the table and fixed breakfast while they finished packing and getting ready. After the quick, but hearty, meal, they saddled the horses and mounted.

"We'll be back late tomorrow," Matt reassured Mercy.

"Of course. Dadus and I will be just fine. I hope to have the dress almost completed by then. If it weaves itself together like Johanna has said, perhaps even today."

Mercy watched them go. They'd been traveling so long on the adventure, she felt a little lonely before they had made it down the lane.

Dadus patted her on the shoulder. "Come on, child. They'll be all right. You will, too."

She smiled at her crooked old friend and took the arm he offered her. The sun was just coming over the horizon and Mercy knew that it was time to start on the dress.

The one she wanted to make was simple in design, much like what Johanna wore. It consisted of more panels than one might otherwise think, however, five in all. This allowed for a somewhat fitted bodice finished with ties, but a flared, beautifully draped skirt.

She folded the material half and cut the panels, using the fold to replace a seam where she could. The fabric cut like butter; so smooth she almost thought it was craving to be shaped.

"It's amazing, isn't it?" Johanna asked as she worked.

"It's like nothing else I've ever handled!"

"Once you tack the seams together, you'll want to go take it into the sunshine. It will reweave itself then. But, for now, you can sit in the shade to sew and enjoy the day."

Mercy and Johanna spent hours talking about their craft and lives. She slipped into her talent and it wasn't long before she was ready to have the sun work its magic.

Holding the garment between them, Johanna and Mercy walked into the sunshine. Mercy gasped when she saw the seam in front of her unravel a bit, then rework itself together, creating a seamless join between the two panels. "Wow. Just... wow!" she exclaimed, watching it transform itself.

"Feel how the dress is getting warm? I will do that from time to time when the wearer needs warmth or when it repairs itself," Johanna explained.

"Wait, it mends itself?"

"Yes! Fascinating isn't it?"

"That's an understatement. I am... going to be filthy rich!" Mercy said with a laugh.

"Indeed, you will," Johanna said with a nod. "It's too bad that you'll not be able to become a Citizen."

This statement sobered Mercy. Johanna was correct; if she married Jasmine, it would be unlikely that they would ever be Citizens. "Well, you don't have to be one to be rich, or important, or talented... or in love."

"Very true. And a noble thing it is, to be in love."

Mercy sighed, gathering the beautiful dress to her. "I miss Jasmine."

Johanna consoled her. "Then, let's see what we can do about spinning moonlight."

"It's a new moon tonight, so it won't be out. What will we do instead?"

"Watch the vines grow! It's a fascinating process."

"They'll grow all in one night?"

"With Dadus' help, yes. That's his talent."

"What tasks do we have today?"

"We harvest the first of the vines and lay them out for Dadus to work with so they dry much faster than they might otherwise." She fingered the fabric of the dress Mercy held. "Okay! Let's have you try this on!"