12〝twelve〞

IT WAS PARSELTONGUE, THAT MUCH Ellis was certain—even when everything else could not have been more confusing. So much so that everyone was chattering feverishly amongst themselves, and, perhaps, for once, it wasn't about her.

Whispers and murmurs were tuned back to full volume now that Justin Finch-Fletchley had fled from the Great Hall, the large snake swiftly removed by Professor Snape, and Harry Potter dragged off by a boy with the same fiery hair as Ginny Weasley (how many of them were there?) while a girl with brown bushy hair whom Ellis found familiar bustled along in their wake. Professor Lockhart was screaming himself hoarse over the crowd and getting nobody's attention at all. At the far end of the stage, Ellis saw Professor Snape scowling as he swung his wand overhead. It made a loud bang; the Great Hall dissolved into silence.

"Ah, thank you, Professor Snape," said Lockhart airily. "I was just about to do that."

Snape's nostrils flared. He looked like he was exerting everything not to kill someone and stowed his wand back into his robes so forcefully, as though he might succumb to the temptation of jinxing his colleague if he did not.

"Well," Lockhart went on, "I think we've seen enough action for one night. A notice shall be posted for the next meeting. Until then... Prefects, I ask you to please lead your Houses back to the dormitories."

With much twirling of his hands, Lockhart gave a bow and bid everyone good night. The Great Hall broke into chaos again: prefects were shouting over one another as they hailed their respective Houses. Amidst the uproar, Ellis felt a tug on her sleeve.

"Are you still hungry?" asked Rolf.

This took Ellis by a bit of a surprise. She had not expected him to remember; she certainly did not. But, now that he mentioned it, she became aware that she was peckish indeed. After all, she hadn't had anything since lunch. Her face must have shown it too, because she hadn't answered when Rolf said, "Come on, then. Follow me."

Ducking under some and swerving around others, they braved the masses of people who seemed to be going in all possible directions. Somewhere in between, Rolf had taken Ellis' hand; so as not to be separated, she let him. She could not—and would not—repay his kindness by deserting him another time tonight. She was also getting hungrier by the minute.

Finally, they were through the exit and in the Entrance Hall. Troops of Gryffindors and Ravenclaws could be seen filing up the marble staircase while a huge cluster of Hufflepuffs were being shepherded towards a door on the right by two House prefects.

"Sam!" called Rolf, waving frantically. "Sam, wait up!"

Plump and very chummy-looking, Sam strongly reminded Ellis of Professor Sprout, the Hufflepuff Head of House, except that his hair was blackish while the Herbology teacher's was graying.

"Hey, Rolf," said Sam genially, "what's up?"

But as his eyes flickered past Ellis his smile faded. Ellis saw, and hid her face. Rolf must have seen too, as he hastily pulled her behind him. Ellis didn't think he'd make a particularly effective shield, being hardly taller or bigger than her, but appreciated the gesture all the same.

"I was wondering," said Rolf, and went quieter still, "if you could tell me how to get into the kitchens."

"Looking for some supper, eh?" piped up a cheery voice Ellis didn't recognize.

She allowed herself a peek: a slim blonde had appeared, sporting a broad grin; he rested his forearm on Sam's shoulder.

Rolf nodded innocently.

"Well, it's just—"

The blonde was punctuated as Sam nudged him in the ribs and inclined his head towards Ellis. The blonde peered over; there was nothing Rolf or his tiny build could do about it. Realization descended upon the blonde's face, and his smile, too, waned.

"Jaime, please," said Rolf to the blonde, "she's my friend. All she wants is something to eat."

Jaime the blonde knitted his brows together, looking very thoughtful. He and Sam exchanged dark glances, but it was the latter who spoke up.

"She's not from our House," Sam said gravely. "She's not supposed to be here. It's too close to our common room. If the prefects see—"

"See what?" chimed in a new voice, a girl's.

A brunette, fair and very charming, popped out from Jaime's side. Her voice seemed to have attracted others. Two males emerged behind Sam and Jaime, both dark-haired, though one with a rather clean cut whereas the other's was shoulder-length and curly. All together, the five faces struck Ellis as vaguely familiar. Then, almost like the universe had planned it, on the other side of Sam turned up: Cedric Diggory.

His face fell mid-laugh. It had to be the first time, Ellis thought, that he'd stared at her and not been able to conjure a smile. Bewildered, he looked from Ellis to Rolf, then did a double take. His gaze stopped dead somewhere in between the first-years and it dawned on Ellis that Rolf was still holding her hand. But now, for some reason, as she glared back into Cedric Diggory's disoriented eyes, she had no absolutely no intention of letting go. The Hufflepuff peeled his eyes away first, and Ellis felt her insides do a little victory dance. As to what she'd won, she couldn't have explained if she tried.

"Ced," said Jaime, "did you hear me?"

"I'm sorry, what?" Cedric turned his confused expression to the blonde.

Apparently a strategy had been devised while their little staring contest went on.

"You're taking them to the kitchens. Sam, Pod, and Jon will cover you. Marge and I are going to take care of the prefects." (The brunette groaned at this.) "We'll give you the cue once everyone's back in the common room, then you can let them leave."

Cedric nodded without question.

The result of so many students having to funnel through a small entryway was that, while the Gryffindors and Ravenclaws had disappeared, many of the Hufflepuffs remained lingering in the Entrance Hall. Jaime and the girl called Marge weaved through them. And before everything was shrouded by Cedric, Sam, Pod, and Jon, Ellis saw Jaime head towards a young lady who shared the same well-defined features and lustrous golden locks (Ellis recognized her as one of the members on the Hufflepuff Quidditch team) while the latter began flirting with a lanky boy who looked rather full of himself. Ellis didn't understand how the Sorting hat could have placed this one in Hufflepuff.

Then again, she recalled snidely, he wouldn't be the only one.

It was a matter of time before they were through the door and descending a flight of stone steps.

If Ellis had known what awaited, she was entirely mistaken. The basement corridor was nothing like its dungeon counterparts she was used to. It was wide, and looked almost alive with the flames that bounced animatedly from torches decorating the walls every couple of feet. But for the lack of windows, no one would suspect it was underground—it was as bright as if the sun was shining in.

So enthralled, Ellis was neither aware that they—Rolf, Cedric, and herself—had taken a different turn from the rest of the Hufflepuffs, nor that Cedric had flourished his wand ceiling-ward, muttering an incantation. She only noted the soothing paintings they passed: Unlike those in most parts of the castle, these ones didn't contain any moving people—they didn't contain any people at all. Warmly-colored and hung at precise intervals, they depicted sceneries, such as farms, barns, the countryside, and, more often than not, food.

They came to a halt. For Ellis, who was still in awe, this meant walking into someone. Both apologized at the same time.

Alas, it was Cedric Diggory. He smiled; she glared. Though his smaller and hers softer, Ellis felt as if she had been transported back to the library, but couldn't imagine what he could be atoning for this time.

"Look closely, now," said Cedric.

AN: It blows my mind that this book has 15K reads 🥺 you all are amazing and I'm just terrible (also applies to updating). I hope COVID hasn't been too bad to you. I'm working on finding momentum to write again and this book is my priority if I do manage to wrestle out more me-time. Stay safe and happy Movember 🥸