58〝fifty-eight〞

EASTER WAS UPON HOGWARTS. BETWEEN heaps of homework and the grim events of the year, however, nobody was enjoying it, not least Ellis. She continued to hole herself up in her dormitory, determined to steer clear of the sunny grounds that seemed to be mocking her—it had been almost five years since she had killed Elliot on a cloudless day just like that.

She could hardly grasp how all that time had slipped by, nor how Cedric's letters had not ceased to arrive.

There was a canary-colored box (magically enlarged from its original version) buried in the depths of her trunk wherein they sat still sealed in their various origami shapes. Ellis had willed herself not to read any of them since the rumors had begun anew, but she had not the heart to toss them out. Even when every day was made an arduous battle against the little paper animals that seemed to be calling out to her, she religiously stowed every single one of them.

On the fifth anniversary of Elliot's death, seized by exceptional grief even by her standards, however, Ellis found herself possessed by the same reckless daring that had her pouring out her darkest secrets to Cedric. So, with what future-her would deem as nothing less than utter stupidity, she dug out the glaringly yellow box...

Hey you,

It feels like I'm keeping a diary nowadays, because diaries don't write back. Still, I'm not giving up.

The holidays are finally here. Everyone's staying; there's just too much to do. I'm sure you heard McGonagall's announcement today. Can you believe that it all started with Jaime? He's been complaining to anyone who'd listen, says his "wild spirit" is bored to the bone being shut up in the castle.

If you ask me, I think they did it more to really shut him up than anything, but Cersei and Marge, they brought it up to Ruth and Marvin (he's sort of seeing Marge now—it's complicated), and they actually managed to persuade McGonagall to let everyone spend some time outside. There's no lack of logistics going into it according to Cersei, with prefects and teachers and ghosts taking it in turns to patrol the different sections of the grounds, but if it helps us keep our sanity by keeping Jaime satisfied and quiet, it's probably worth it.

I'm not sure how I feel about going outside, though. I'm definitely not as hyped up as Jaime; he's acting like a cooped-up dog ready to dash into the field once the gates are opened. It just doesn't seem as inviting knowing you're not likely to be there.

S̶o̶r̶r̶y̶-f̶o̶r̶

Didn't mean to be a downer. I'm just missing you.

Keep safe and good night from,
A wizard
31/3/93

Hey you,

I can't tell you how glad I am that you're all right. I can't imagine if it was you who's been attacked. I'm still surprised I hadn't collapsed when Rolf told us—well, the whole of Hufflepuff, really—that you were headed to the library before the match (he looked about ready to cry himself), but then Professor Sprout told us it wasn't you, and I just—I don't want to feel like that again, ever.

Were you going there because you've found out something about G.W.? I'm sorry I haven't been of more help. Training's just been crazy, but I know it's no excuse. If you've found anything, write back and we can discuss it. If you haven't, write back anyway. I really miss you and want to know how you're doing.

Keep safe and good night from,
A wizard
4/3/93

Hey you,

I'm getting worried. I've never gone so long without a word from you since we started this,̷.a̶n̶d̶-r̶e̶-r̶e̶a̶d̶i̶n̶g̶-y̶o̶u̶r̶-o̶l̶d̶-l̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶s̶-w̶a̶s̶-a̶-g̶r̶a̶v̶e̶-m̶i̶s̶t̶a̶k̶e̶–You've been looking really off color too lately, and I can only guess why, though I've never hoped to be more mistaken. Please tell me you're not avoiding me on purpose, because I really don't want to believe my eyes.

Keep safe and good night from,
A wizard
15/3/93

Hey you,

Awful things have been running riot lately, and frankly, I'm disgusted. People here'll believe anything—anything!

Seriously, I'm just trying to turn a blind eye to it, I'm trying not to fault them. I think everyone's just scared now that Dumbledore's gone. It still seems incredible that he's not here anymore. No offense to McGonagall, but everything just seems a little off without him—and Hagrid, of course.

I hope you're at least still talking to the Baron, because I can't help but feel you ought not to keep everything to yourself. I know you're strong, but even the strongest of us need help sometimes, and it can't hurt to have some. I only wish it could be from me.

Keep safe and good night from,
A wizard
9/3/93

Hey you,

Something happened just now; I don't know whether to class it as "bad." Rolf was standing up to some of the other first- and second-years who were having a go at you, and I just snapped—I told them off too.

The guys might as well have been Stunned, but Marge came to find me after. She knows; she knew before I even said anything. Apparently she saw you smiling at me in the halls, one of those times I was "tying my laces." Also, it seems she recognized my little outburst at Lee's comment for what it really was after all. She doesn't reckon anyone else noticed, though, and she's promised not to tell, but I don't know if that's good enough for you.

I̶'m̶-s̶o̶r̶r̶y̶

I know I've broken my promise, I know should've denied until hell freezes over. It's just, you've been avoiding me, you've not written in more than two weeks, and I feel like I'll go mad soon if I don't talk to somebody. I didn't realize it'd hurt this much to be deprived of your smile again. It's like someone's brought me back to before Christmas, but still with all the memories of everything that'd happened after, and it's u̶n̶b̶e̶a̶r̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ terrible.

I won't go that far as to say that I know why you're doing this, because you've always been as predictable as you're unpredictable to me, which is plenty adorable—but I'd say I've a pretty good idea. I know it's useless to tell you it doesn't matter what everyone thinks or says, because you already know that, but it bothers you anyway, because of me. Believe me: the things they're saying make my blood boil too. But it doesn't make me feel any better knowing that you're avoiding me just to keep me "safe." If anything, it makes me feel worse being powerless to help you.

You've suffered enough. You shouldn't have to suffer this alone—you really don't have to. Just let me be there for you, won't you?

I really miss you.

Keep safe and good night from,
A wizard
23/3/93

Hey you,

Surprise, surprise, Jaime dragged us onto the grounds today. We managed to get under that beech tree by the lake—you know, the one where I found you and Picket III? I miss that little bugger, but I'm betting you miss him more, though it can't be more than I miss you.

I'm not sure if it's because I was there that made it particularly bad today, or because we went with Jon's idea of doing Kettleburn's paper since we were going to be outdoors. Everything from the tree to my textbook just seemed to remind me of you.

Kettleburn had us writing about unicorns, you see. "Identify and Describe the Three Stages of a Unicorn's Life Cycle." Picturing any of them means picturing you too, so I can't say I was surprised when I was the last to get it done, though I ought to check it before turning it in, lest y̶o̶u̶r̶-n̶a̶m̶e̶-c̶r̶o̶p̶s̶-u̶p̶—never mind.

This must be a particularly hard time for you too (not that what I'm suffering could ever match up to yours), I'm guessing, and I can only imagine what you're going through. I don't know what this Frog can do for you, but hopefully something I can't.

Keep safe and good night from,
A wizard
3/4/93