30〝thirty〞

ELLIS KNEW SHE SIMPLY COULD not put it off any longer; she would definitely go crazy if she read any of the books she had—however much she liked them—one more time. And so, after a quick breakfast, she braved the library.

As Madam Pince accepted her returns, though not without an extensive examination for all possible damage, Ellis began to roam the shelves, her eyes on high alert for anything and everything related to dragons. Ten minutes later, and her arms laden with volumes after volumes regarding the species, she loaded them neatly onto Madam Pince's counter.

"I would like to borrow these, please," said Ellis politely.

Madam Pince glanced at the tall pile through her spectacles, a deep look of suspicion.

"These are reference books intended for those studying Care of Magical Creatures," she recited silkily, with an aura that reminded Ellis too much of Professor Snape. "You are a first-year, am I right?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Then you do not take Care of Magical Creatures, am I right?"

"No, ma'am."

"Then you are not entitled to remove these books from the premises. If you are keen to peruse them, you may do so here. Otherwise, I would ask that you, please, put them back where you found them. ... Now," she added in a minacious voice when Ellis didn't move.

Hurriedly, Ellis scooped up the stack and headed for her usual desk. The window was completely frosted over by the blizzard raging outside. She was suddenly glad to be indoors, surrounded by warmth and peace (and nobody). Not knowing which one intrigued her the most, she picked the topmost one and started...

She had progressed to a chapter on treating scale-rot when a shadow came casting over the page. Unlike normal shadows, however, this one did not go away, as usually did when people walked past. Ellis skimmed to the end of the paragraph before unsticking her nose from the text and found who else but—she should have known—Cedric towering over her, looking curious.

"Hey, you," he greeted, beaming, and Ellis had to fight back the urge to roll her eyes. "Haven't seen you here in a while."

"Hmm."

"Do you mind if I sit...with you?"

He was evidently recalling the last time.

Today, unlike the last time, however, Ellis hadn't brought a bag, and didn't have the option to just storm out of the place. Yet, quite like the last time, she did mind—albeit not for the exact reasons.

"I don't think that's such a good idea," whispered Ellis.

"Why not?" said Cedric, frowning. "Did I—" He looked panicky, as though he'd just caught himself, then Ellis saw comprehension dawning across his perfect face. "This is your problem, not mine, isn't it?"

Somewhat impressed by his perceptiveness, Ellis nodded heavily. Imitating, Cedric pivoted and dropped his bag onto the table behind her, plucked the chair from underneath it, sat with its back to his front, and leaned towards Ellis on its rear legs.

"How's this?" said Cedric, clearly pleased with his "solution."

Torn between amusement and frustration, Ellis didn't give any outright response, though twisted in her seat to face him.

"What's this 'problem,' anyway?"

"It's complicated," parried Ellis.

"Then explain it."

"It's a long story."

"I've got time."

"But you haven't got somewhere we can't be overheard."