47〝forty-seven〞

AFTER MATCHDAY ONE, THE QUIDDITCH Cup stood with Slytherin in last (fourth was really just a nice way of putting it, and why sugar-coat reality?) place with sixty points; Ravenclaw was third, with seventy; Gryffindor was second, with a hundred and fifty; and Hufflepuff was leading, with two hundred and ten. Flint's strategy was therefore to obtain at least a two-hundred-and-fifty-point advantage against Ravenclaw—that would be their best bet if they wanted any chance of scraping the Cup. So Ellis's main role was to bide her team time until they were a hundred points ahead, which meant fending off the opposite Seeker, Cho Chang—a responsibility she shouldered with great pleasure and anticipation.

Part of Cedric's latest letter had read:

Anyway, good luck tomorrow (or today, since it's almost midnight)—I know you don't need it, but I wanted to wish it anyway. Also, go easy on Chang, won't you? Not everyone can take twenty-three to one in their stride. Besides, you won't want anyone getting suspicious as to why you're so adamant on thrashing her now, would you?

And with a semicolon and a close parenthesis that really winked, he signed off.

Ellis knew Cedric meant to tease; he wasn't aware of Flint's game plan (she wasn't that smitten to reveal it, not that he ever inquired either). She could just imagine him smirking while he wrote. Clearly, he was still convinced—he was determined to be—that she was jealous, her multiple denials notwithstanding.

If truth be told, it was not jealousy that Ellis felt. It wasn't like Chang had anything she wanted—not in any way that singled her out from the crowd. There was a bitterness lingering, though. Could it be spite?

As she seized up her best quill (a sleek eagle-feather one Valrey had chosen) and replied, the answer manifested itself.

Don't worry. She won't be knocked out by my smile, that's for sure.

Yes.

Unadulteratedly yes.

* * *

"And here come the Slytherins," came the commentator's echoey voice from the top box as Ellis followed the others marching out onto the pitch. "There's been a change to the lineup since their last game. It seems Captain Flint has finally realized money doesn't work miracles and gone for some real talent instead—or is it"—his tone became suddenly spooky—"something else?"

"JORDAN!" shouted a stern female voice through the megaphone—Professor McGonagall.

"Sorry, Professor. Just trying to get the mood going—"

The Slytherins in the stands were booing so loudly that the low "Oooohs" and nervous murmuring emanating from the other end were hardly distinguishable to Ellis. She, however, noticed Flint, who looked murderous and more trollish than ever as he stormed up to her.

"Don't mind them," he growled, "just keep your focus and fly like you always do. Got it?"

"Or else" was implied, though he appeared to be restraining himself so that it wasn't reflected in his eyes. Flint had not been vague that he valued her as a Seeker, but Ellis understood only too well that if she botched this up, she might just be sent packing like her predecessor. But she was neither worried nor intimidated. None of that was going to happen—not under her watch.

She gave Flint a firm nod, because the sea of spectators was now roaring: Madam Hooch had entered the arena. All the players fell into position. Cho Chang, who was also the only female on her side, was already looking pale and jittery, and as Ellis unleashed her signature glare, the Ravenclaw Seeker seemed to shrink into herself.

At exactly eleven o'clock, Madam Hooch's whistle shrilled and Ellis kicked off into the cool winter's end air. There was a weak breeze, with little direct light from the cloudy skies—perfect Quidditch conditions. She made her first circuit around the park, keeping one eye out for the Snitch and the other for Chang. Slytherins cheered as she whizzed over their heads, and though Ellis knew they were not cheering for her (they were cheering on their Seeker—there was a difference), it made her feel surprisingly good.

"—Adrian Pucey of Slytherin with the Quaffle now, tearing away from Chaser Davies, heading towards goal—look at him go! That Nimbus Two Thousand and One is really something—oh, but he's dropped the Quaffle—no, Marcus Flint's got it—he shoots—he scores—"

While the Slytherin end exploded with whoops, Ellis flew up to the rest of the team for a victory lap before resuming scanning the field. The Snitch had yet to surface, and Chang, as Flint had predicted, was resorting to her usual tactic: marking. Though, she only tailed Ellis at a distance, as if fearful of getting close. Seconds later, Flint bagged his second goal...and then a third...

"Thirty-zero to Slytherin. And here comes Ravenclaw Captain Thomas Koracick with the Quaffle—OUCH!—slammed by a Bludger from Jackson Avery—Slytherin in possession—Derek Shepherd of Slytherin coming up—a neat back-pass to Flint—OOF! That was so close—dodging a Bludger, the Captain is off—ducks under Davies—passes Koracick—"

That was when Ellis spotted something shiny flittering at the Slytherin goalposts; it was hovering just a couple of feet above Keeper Miles Bletchley, who was punching his fist into the air as Flint chalked up another goal. She whipped her head back at Chang, who looked alarmed at once but seemed to have no idea where the Snitch was. Koracick, however, was neither as faint-hearted nor as clueless. Ellis had seen that the Ravenclaw Captain had, too, glimpsed the game-winning ball, and he would surely it call it out to Chang.

Like a bat out of hell, Ellis streaked towards Chang—away from the Snitch—and the latter, letting out a little shriek, hurtled off as quickly as her Comet Two Sixty would carry her, which was not very, but enough to force her out of earshot of Koracick's bellows. Ellis managed to corner Chang to the edge of the field; the tables were turned—Chang was now being shadowed. She fled higher but to no avail.

Then Ellis caught Slytherin Beater Preston Burke's eye: she gave him a nod and whisking around Chang, began to circle her. Blocked, the Ravenclaw loitered in midair, looking confused and scared. Last minute, Ellis flashed her a smirk and dropped her altitude. A Bludger came pelting out from where she was and Chang, asleep at the wheel, was struck square in the stomach.

There was a collective wince from the Ravenclaw supporters.

"OOOOH!" said the commentator, as Chang, clutching dearly to her broom, did several airborne somersaults. "That must be painful, but Ravenclaw back in possession—it's Roger Davies zipping up the pitch—he's in the scoring area, this looks promising—spectacular save by Bletchley, even for me—still eighty-zero to Slytherin—Shepherd with the Quaf—hang on, what's that?"

Something golden was glistening where Derek Shepherd had just past. Ellis swept her eyes to Chang: she was still recovering from the blow, but looked around alertly at the commentator's words. But she didn't find the Snitch—Flint and Pucey had converged on it and were now shielding it from view as they pretended to search for it too. Ellis took a gamble. She widened her eyes downwards and dived; thinking Ellis had sighted the "missing" Snitch, Chang plunged after her.

Everyone else seemed to be under the same impression. The entire stadium watched with bated breath, including the Ravenclaw players.

"—and Shepherd puts it past Ravenclaw Keeper Page, who wasn't even looking! Slytherin lead by ninety points to zero. Derek Shepherd with his first goal of the game—"

Meanwhile, Ellis retrieved her wand, aimed it from under her robes at the fast approaching ground, whispered "Molliare," and then, a foot from the grass, pulled up sharply. Copying untidily, Chang slipped from her broom and crashed into the turf without a sound.

Ellis soared up at top speed. Slytherin had been awarded a penalty, because Koracick was so furious with Ellis's feint that he lunged at Flint. She squinted around: the Snitch was now shimmering near Ravenclaw Beater Jason Samuels. As Flint launched the Quaffle past Page for the sixth time, Ellis bolted towards Samuels, who careened out of the way, terror on his face...

Madam Hooch's whistle rang out.