eighteen.

"Don't forget your gloves babe," I call out to Tim who's about to grab a box of cereal. He rolls his eyes at me but still dives into his pockets to grab them and put them on.

"You know you don't need to be so obsessive over such small things, Rose." Tim picks up the cereal box with his gloved hand, and throws it into the cart I'm pushing, as if it were a basketball net.

"Hey! It's not obsessive... it's pre-cautious. You don't know who's touched that box baby, and--"

"And you don't know who that person came into contact with and yada yada yada..." Tim concludes my statement. "I know babe," he sighs.

I roll my eyes at him,  "If you already have it memorized then just wear the fucking gloves so I don't have to say it again." 

Ugh, I sound just like my mother.

"Yes, dear." Tim strolls to my side and presses a quick kiss to my forehead.

"Yeah yeah yeah," I huff.

"Hey did you get a chance to talk to your mom yet?" Tim asks as he takes the shopping list out of my hand.

I focus my attention extra hard on looking at the items in front of me, but of course this doesn't stop Tim from asking again. "Rose?"

"Hmm? Oh-- no I didn't."

I quickly grab the shopping list back from Tim's hand, and start walking fastly over to the frozen food section. I can practically feel Tim's eyes watching me cautiously. I look back at him, and see that he now holds five bags of frozen curly fries.

Those were Jace's favorite...

"Rose?" I tear my gaze away from the bags he holds and look him in the eyes. "I know, you're thinking about how we'll fit this in the freezer, but I swear we can make it work."

He's wrong. That actually wasn't in my mind at all. Actually, I was thinking about the last winter I had with Jace, and how over the holiday break, he came into my room at midnight and said he was craving something salty. We drove aimlessly around town for thirty minutes, but because our town was so small everything closed at around six. 

"Can we just go back home? I think there's a bag of popcorn left," I whined to Jace, but when I looked over to see him in the drivers seat and how determined he looked, I almost felt embarrassed that I even asked.

He looked over at me with a slight twinkle of happiness in his eyes, "Rosie, we're not going to have some stale ass popcorn tonight." He shook his head and placed his hand on my shoulder slightly shaking me, "We are going to eat something crazy good, and hey, I'll even watch Grey's Anatomy with you." That naturally got me super excited, being that Jace never wanted to watch Grey's Anatomy unless me or my mom forced him.

I remember standing and resting my head and shoulder on the cool glass in the frozen section of our local 7/11, watching Jace look up and down every aisle for something that would call out to him. He looked for a solid five minutes, which has been the longest amount of time I've ever been in that establishment in my life. I was too busy on my phone to see his reaction when he found what he was desperately seeking for. 

I think about that a lot-- his gasp of happiness, and how that was the last time I ever saw him that genuinely happy, and how I missed witnessing the look on his face.

"Rose?" Tim calls me out again.

I shake my head ever so slightly, forcing myself to stay in the present. I give a tight smile to Tim, "Loose three of them," and turn back to the cart hearing his huffing behind me.

I place my hand over my heart feeling the exceleration of it intensifying. 

"Rosie, I'm gonna cook the crap out of these frozen french fries for us!" Jace then put his arm around me as we walked back to the car, with our hands full of frozen curly fries. He pulled my head close into his chest-- I still remember the sound of his heartbeat.

No. 

Stop. Stop thinking about that, Rosie. For fucks sake, you're at a Stop&Shop right now.

I hadn't noticed I came to a complete stop until Tim dumped two bags of the frozen french fries, into the cart and placed his hand over mine. I gave him a shy smile when I saw his slightly worried expression.

"You okay?" He asks.

No, I'm not. My brother won't leave my mind.

"Yeah, of course. What's next on the shopping list?"

---

i think i'm gonna start doing more flashbacks of jace and rosies relationship... would you guys be into that?