Blurb

blurb

a short description of a book, movie, or other product written for promotional purposes and appearing on the cover of a book or in an advertisement.

After the cover, a blurb is the most important piece on non-content related attraction for a book. The blurb is another thing standing between a reader's interest to stay or the reason to leave. It is your first opportunity to put your writing to good use. If someone doesn't like a blurb, why would they open the book?

1. Hook

Use the first sentence of your blurb to "hook" your reader and convince them to continue, similar to how authors use the first sentence in the first chapter to do the same. 

Use evocative words, a great quote, or pick the reader up and drop them off right in the action. Pull them into the book and make them want to stay there.

2. Protagonist

Introduce your protagonist in a way that makes them interesting. What about your MC(main character) is likeable? Are they relatable? Do they have superpowers? Are they in love? Is there something unique about them?

If they're like exactly everyone else, why write a story about them?

3. Word Count

Aim for between 100-200 words. Long enough to give a rough idea of the story, and short enough to keep the reader wanting to find out more. 

example of a good blurb:

"All Harry knows is a miserable life with the Dursley's, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley. Harry's room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday in eleven years."

The use of the words "miserable", "horrible", and "abominable" are key here. Harry Potter isn't happy and he doesn't have a good life at this point. These words convey that to the reader.

The last sentence in bold shows something unique and interesting about the protagonist. He is interesting because he isn't relatable at this point, and most readers immediately want to know why all of this is happening to this character.