Chapter 1 ~ Goodbye Dragons

Kaida Scamander had a way with animals, and anyone who had ever seen her in action, could see why she was the youngest Magizoologist ever. Much like the rest of the Scamander family, including her older brother Rolf, Kaida was attracted to magical creatures of all types, and excelled in the branch so much that rather than attending a Wizarding School like her brother, she was home-schooled so that her talent could be utilised to its greatest extent. When most witches her age were just starting school, Kaida was five years ahead in terms of spells and school work, and was officially a Magizoologist – often working close with her grandfather Newt, who was her main teacher and inspiration. It was at this age when Kaida decided she wanted to start specialising in certain creatures and was offered an internship at a Dragon Reserve in Romania, which was where she met Charlie Weasley – her best friend and instructor. It was also there that she received Irene – an Antipodean Opaleye (who couldn't grow any larger than a horse due a birth defect) – from Charlie, who quickly bonded with Kaida and became her pet, and a common face around the Dragon Reserve, freely wandering although always close enough to Kaida.

Taking the offer to intern at the Dragon Reserve was one of the best decisions Kaida had ever made, and now she felt like the decision she had made a few days ago was one of the worst decisions she had ever made.

Kaida always listened to Charlie Weasley, no matter what the scenario, she always trusted his judgement, however now she was beginning to question her choices.

"Do I honestly have to go Charlie?" Said girl questioned the much older boy who stood in front of her. Charlie Weasley was seven years her elder and yet the duo were practically twins. He towered over the younger girl and his signature red hair that fell to his shoulders was hanging in front of his face. He had a dragon tattoo on his chest – which was visible since he wasn't wearing a shirt and his jacket wasn't done up – that matched the one Kaida had had tattooed on her back, and he was wearing a pair of loose jogger shorts. Kaida on the other hand was wearing tight denim shorts, and a sports bra, with a backpack around her that she never left anywhere as it held the magical creatures she had gained the trust of over the years: every one but Irene remained in there till Kaida knew it was safe to release them or if they chose to stay their rather than be released.

Charlie just nodded at the girl, not wanting to continue talking about something that clearly upset both of them, yet Kaida continued, "What about Irene? And the other dragons? And what about my magical creatures?" Kaida began to ramble, so Charlie quickly stopped her.

"We've already spoken to Dumbledore. Irene can stay with you so long as she stays out of the way of the students, and the other dragons will be fine without you for a while. The magical creatures can go with you so long as they don't escape; Dumbledore says he knew Newt and thought it was best to emphasise the part about them escaping." That brought a soft smile to Kaida, who eventually just sighed in defeat. Charlie went to wrap his arm around her to comfort her only to be beaten to the punch by one of the other tamers they worked with called Sean. He had blonde hair that was spiked up with layers upon layers of gel and he had bright green eyes.

"Don't worry sweetheart you'll be back before you know it," he stated. Kaida rolled her eyes and pushed his arm off her and when he moved to get her again, a dragon flew in the middle of them, and growled at him. Sean put his arms up in defence and backed away quickly, leaving the duo and the dragon. Kaida softly stroked Irene's scales, who hissed in a appreciation. "What would I do without you girl." Charlie grinned at the two, who were once again interrupted by a voice, only this time it was one they actually liked. Coby – one of the medics – was one of Kaida's close friends and if you looked at them from afar you'd think they were related. They had matching brown hair, though Kaida's was much longer, and the same hazel eyes. Coby had freckles coating his face, and was much taller than the younger girl however, not that it was difficult to be taller than the girl.

"We've packed your stuff for you Kaida. You've had a letter from Dumbledore saying that him and Hagrid are expecting you."

Kaida looked at the two of her friends in front of her and looked down sad, "I guess this is goodbye." Charlie responded, "I'll be going with you to make sure you're settled in." Kaida nodded and turned to look at Coby her eyes watering. He opened his arms and she dived into them. He explained, "You can still come and see us in the holidays, little dragon, so don't worry about it. This isn't goodbye." Kaida let go of Cody, stating, "I'm going to miss all of you."

Charlie chirped in, "We've planned it all out. You spend Christmas with me at the Weasley house since you're family will most likely be travelling, then you'll spend the first half of summer with your family and then the second half with us at the reservation."

Kaida nodded happily upon knowledge that not much would be changing in that aspect and that she'd still be seeing everyone she cared about. Upon noticing the time, Coby shooed them off (after one more hug from Kaida) and explained that he'd tell everyone goodbye from her since her and Charlie were running late already. Charlie and Kaida grabbed her things, and Kaida made Irene get into her backpack that had an extension charm on it, promising to let her out once they had apparated. Kaida looked upon the fields filled with dragons that she had grown up with and sighed, before looking away and disapparating.