Chapter 4 ~ So Much For Not Drawing Attention

"I've always wondered what Hogwarts was like," Kaida stated aimlessly as she wandered the halls with four of the Weasley siblings - Percy having left to do some school duties.  As they walked down the corridors, the group was met with stares though the family weren't sure if it was because of the new girl with them, or the dragon that was flapping to the side of said girl. Ginny looked up towards the older girl, and asked, "Why didn't you come to Hogwarts?" Kaida shrugged her shoulders, and closed her eyes, but continued walking aimlessly, explaining, "It honestly was never something I considered. I hated the idea of being stuck indoors when there's so much more outside for me to explore." Ginny nodded in understanding, and Ron then questioned, "So what's the deal with the dragon?" Irene huffed and Kaida said, "She has a name, and she be upset if you dont use it." Ron blushed and apologised, but Kaida continued by explaining, "Don't worry she's domesticated. I've had her since she was a baby and we've grown up together. In fact she was a gift from Charlie." Ron grumbled, "He barely remembers my birthday, but can get someone else a dragon." Ginny and Kaida chuckled, and Ginny looked over at George and Fred who had been quiet during the exchange, and was watching as Fred went to poke the dragon that hovered in front of him, but he was stopped in his tracks by a voice. 

"I wouldn't do that if I were you Fred. Irene doesnt take kindly to be prodded," Kaida stated, her eyes still closed and her still walking next to Ginny and Ron. Fred and George stopped in their tracks and George questioned, "How did you know it was Fred?" Kaida opened one of her eyes and turned her head over her shoulder to look in their direction. "I just knew," she stated simply. Fred and George looked in shock, but continued to follow behind the girl. Ron explained to the older girl, "Not even our parents can tell them apart, so that's probably why they are so surprised." Kaida just nodded, and the rest of the journey continued in silence till they arrived at a large painting of what the Weasley's called the Fat Lady. 

"Fortuna Major," Ron stated, and the portrait swung opened, and they were met with an assortment of faces, though most chose to remain where they were and stare, three people approached the group. One was a black haired boy with glasses, another was a brown bushy haired girl and the last was a darker skinned boy who looked older than the other two. Ron turned to two of them and greeted them before turning back to Kaida, "Kaida, this is Harry Potter and Hermione Granger." Everyone watched her expecting her to have some sort of reaction to the boy who lived, but she just greeted him the same as she would anyone else, and he smiled happily at her. "Hermione, Harry. This is Kaida Scamander. She'll be working at Hogwarts this year," Ron explained. Hermione's face lit up and she began questioning Kaida, "Your last name, is that any relation to the famous Scamander family, known for being famous Magizoologists." Kaida nodded lazily, and explained, "Yep, Newt's my grandad - you know the guy who wrote Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them." Hermione looked at the girl in awe, but the twins quickly stole Kaida's attention, "Kaida this is our friend Lee Jordan," Fred explained, gesturing to the older boy who had joined them. "Lee this is Kaida Scamander as you already know." Kaida waved in greeting, but stopped when she was pushed by her dragon. "Yeah I know," Kaida rolled her eyes. "Everyone this is Irene. Call her that or she will bite." A lot of people flinched back but Kaida just laughed as Irene attempted to look scary. Upon realising she  had scared most people away, Irene moved in between Fred and George, who she seemed to have taken a liking to (so its a good thing they didn't actually poke her).

A scream came from the top of the girl's dorm and everyone turned to see a girl run down the stairs. One of her friends approached her and questioned, "Lavender what's the matter?" The girl, Lavender, cried out, "There were these weird creatures in our dorm, and they were taking my jewellery." Kaida turned to Irene, who was still sat in between the twins and said, "This is why we cant take you lot anywhere nice." Irene huffed, and Kaida pulled her wand out of her shoe, before heading to Lavender and asking which dorm was hers to which Lavender gave directions. Kaida headed up the stairs and it was only when she was halfway up them did she turn and see that Irene had followed her, along with the twins and Lee. She rolled her eyes at them and said, "Stay out of my way," and after seeing them nod, continued up the stairs. Kaida opened the door and was met with the sight she expected. Rummaging through the girl's things were two Nifflers, both with patches of white on them only with one being brown and white, and the other grey and white, who were pocketing anything shiny that they could find. Kaida cleared her throat, and the Nifflers looked up at their foster mum guilty, clearly understanding they'd been caught. From besides Kaida, Irene huffed, and Kaida just sighed and said, "At least it was just you two who got out. Right, drop what you've got and lets go get you and the others sorted." The Nifflers looked upset at her but she just clearly stated, "Now," and after a hiss from Irene, the Nifflers quickly dropped what they had gotten, and then headed over to Kaida. She looked deeply into their eyes, and focused on the one on the left, which was grey in colour with white patches, "Everything." The Niffler slowly pulled out a golden coin it was holding onto and dropped it. Kaida gestured to her arms, and the Nifflers climbed up her and sat in her arms. "Right well lets go and apologise and then we can go home," Kaida explained.

She turned and saw Fred, George and Lee who she had completely forgotten was there. They all stared in awe grinning, and George said, "That was wicked." Kaida laughed loudly, and the trio all smiled at her, glad she was feeling comfortable. "So they're yours?" Fred asked, as the two Nifflers nodded off to sleep in Kaida's arms. She nodded and explained, "I've had them since they were babies. I tried releasing them into the wild, but they just kept coming back." She gestured to the grey and white one, "That one is Minx. You can see she lives up to her name," then she gestured to the other which was brown and white, "That is Billy, her younger brother." The boys looked at them in wonder and Kaida quickly said, "You can play with them at some point if you want. Once I've got settled in." They all nodded excitedly, and the four of them, and a dragon, headed back down the stairs to the common room where everyone was waiting for them. Kaida looked over to Lavender, "Your room is cleared now. I'm sorry for them being in there." Lavender thanked the older girl and Kaida responded saying, "It was my fault so don't worry about it." Kaida walked over to the Weasley family including Hermione and Harry, and stated, "I'm gonna head up to my dorm and get these two settled in with the others." Hermione questioned the older girl, "Others?" Kaida giggled, "You didn't think I just bought a dragon and a couple of Nifflers with me did you." The others in the room looked at her in shock, but she just began walking back up the stairs only just with Irene this time and waved goodnight on her way up. Though she couldn't help but grumble to Irene on the way up saying, "So much for not drawing attention to myself."