Chapter 2 ~ Disruption in True Scamander Fashion

Kaida had visited Hogwarts before and met many of the teachers there, so it was easy for her to recognise the large half-giant man who stood before her and Charlie. Before Kaida could even greet the man, her bag began rustling and the second she opened it Irene flew out, and after doing a loop, placed herself happily by Kaida's side. Charlie and Kaida both face-palmed and sent each other a weary look. Hagrid approached the duo cheerfully, "Why hello little dragon, you've grown."

Kaida laughed at him, "I'm not sure if you're on about me or Irene." Hagrid let out a chortle, "Definitely you Kaida. Irene is still a little baby." From besides Kaida, Irene huffed out a small bit of smoke, yet still approached the large man and allowed him to rub his hand along her back. "It's good to see you as well Charlie. How are the dragons treating you? Are they easy to handle?" Charlie smiled but rolled his eyes, "The dragons are the easy part of my job; it's Kaida here who is the problem." Kaida huffed much like her dragon, but still wore a happy grin on her face. "Oh shut up Char, you love me really." Charlie just wrapped his arm around Kaida, saying nothing, and Hagrid took that as a sign to show the two of them the reason why Kaida was here.

The duo followed Hagrid as he began to explain Kaida's living situation, "I was going to have you stay with me and Fang but since I'm teaching, me and Albus thought it'd be unorthodox, so Minerva has had a private room set up in the Gryffindor Dorms for you." Kaida looked at Hagrid and Charlie confused, "What's a Gryffindor?" Charlie looked at her insulted, whilst Hagrid chortled. "Everyone in Hogwarts is sorted into a house, and Gryffindor is one of the houses. Didn't Rolf ever tell you about Hogwarts?" Kaida shook her head and responded, "He and our parents agreed that it was best not to talk about it, so I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on anything when I went to pursue Magizoology." Hagrid nodded at her in understanding, and before the conversation could be continued, the trio reached the reason why Kaida was here.

"This here is Buckbeak, the Hippogriff, and your new responsibility," Hagrid explained. Kaida looked over the creature in awe. The Hippogriff was only slightly bigger than Irene and matched her in the white colour of her fur. Kaida slowly approached the Hippogriff, Irene remaining with Charlie, and when Hagrid went to pull Kaida back, Charlie held his arm out in the way, and whispered, "Trust her. This is what she does best." Kaida stopped once she was directly in front of the Hippogriff and bowed lowly and slowly, and whispered, "I am at your service. I promise not to harm you, I only wish to be friends." Before she could lift her head, Buckbeak was already in front of her and nuzzling his head into Kaida's chest. Hagrid looked at the girl in shock and awe and said to no one, "How does she do that?" Charlie just smiled softly, and replied, "I wish I knew. She just does it."

Whilst Kaida was petting Buckbeak, Charlie and Hagird watching over her, no one noticed Irene sneak off in the direction of the castle, following the scent of cooked food. It wasn't until Kaida looked away from Buckbeak and over to Charlie and Hagrid when she noticed her missing dragon.

"Err, guys. Where's Irene?" Kaida questioned nervously. Charlie and Hagrid looked around frantically and realised the dragon had disappeared.

Following the tracks, Irene had left in the ground they arrived at the castle, where they all proceeded to split up. Charlie turned to Kaida before he split from her, "Now remember when you find her, get her to leave in the most subtle way. Don't draw attention to yourself." Kaida nodded and went off to search one of the long corridors when she heard Irene's wings flapping, and saw a white creature fly through a set of double doors.

Kaida ran into the hall after her dragon, completely unaware of the whole school and teachers who had fallen silent upon her arrival. "Irene! Get here now!" she yelled after the dragon who flew around the room happily, knocking over the drinks on her way past, spilling a drink over a greasy black haired teacher. Kaida shot a non-harmful, wandless spell at the dragon, and Irene fell to the ground in front of Dumbledore. Kaida approached the dragon and began to reprimand the dragon, who sunk to the ground in submission, but was interrupted by the clearing of someone's throat. Kaida looked up and turned red when she was met with the happy eyes of Albus Dumbledore. She looked around and noticed everyone else and looked apologetically at Albus who waved her off.

"Well done dragon!" Two ginger boys cheered from one of the long tables and very quickly the rest of the room began cheering. Kaida looked up at Albus, her boss for the next year, "I'm sorry Albus."

"No worries Kaida. No harm done, although it's a good thing it was just Irene who got loose," he replied, mischief in his eyes. "I'll explain to everyone why there is a dragon on the grounds." Before Kaida could respond, another person made their grand entrance. "Kaida Scamander you did not just do what I thought you did?!" Charlie yelled from his location in the doorway. Five gingers stood up from their table, including the ginger twins who had yelled before, and all questioned, "Charlie?!" Kaida sent Albus a sheepish smile, "Talk to you later?" Albus nodded at her, and Kaida – with Irene by her feet – attempted to sneak out without Charlie noticing. "Oh no you don't!" He yelled and ran after her and the dragon after they left the Great Hall. Quickly following their brother followed Ron, Ginny, Percy, Fred and George.

McGonagall turned to Dumbledore with a small smile, yet concern in her eyes, "Are you sure this is a good idea?" Dumbledore sent her a grin and his eyes flashed happily, "Oh yes. This just proves to me that she's definitely suited for her job. She's definitely a Scamander."