Chapter 5 ~ Inside the Backpack

Kaida's dorm would look bland to anyone who walked in there: everything looked so basic, like nobody lived there. The bed was untouched, nothing was on the walls and there was no clothes anywhere, but tucked away in one of the corners of the room was a plain backpack, a pale green colour with a simple zip holding everything within it. The reason why Kaida's dorm looked so empty was because she hadn't settled in there, instead she was living within her backpack which to a muggle would sound crazy. But her backpack contain and extension charm where she and her magical creatures stayed.

After the incident with the Nifflers, Kaida decided it was best to check on her creatures sooner than later, and opened the bag to go into. Kaida climbed down the ladder and entered the main room. The main room connecting from her backpack was about the size of a classroom, and the only immediate sign of any magical creatures were the sleeping Nifflers in Kaida's arms and Irene who pranced around the room... until she started knocking things over so Kaida sent her to her bed, which was in the corner of the room. The room had 6 doors around it, with two of the doors having cat flaps next to them. Deciding her best bet was to start with the Nifflers, Kaida left Irene in the main room and went though the door that was to the left of the ladder. Upon opening the door, Kaida was met with a small enclosure with a grassy area on one half of it, and a large animal bed on the other side, which was where she put the sleeping Minx and Billy. Kaida only had two Nifflers and she was glad, because if she had anymore, she would've lost it. She filled up their food bowls, before exiting the room, remembering to lock the door behind her - hopefully preventing any future escapes.

After exiting the room she was attacked by two creatures, neither of which were Irene, and was knocked to the ground. The first was similar to a cat – a Kneazle: it was light grey colour with black speckles and it had bright blue eyes. This particular creature was around the size young lion, and it easily towered over the other creature, which was similar to a dog – a Crup. The smaller creature was white with brown patches and it had short forked tail which was wagging furiously. Kaida pushed herself up from the floor so she was sitting cross legged, and the two creatures sat in front of her, following her movements with their eyes.

"Hello to you two too," Kaida groaned out as she put a hand on her head. The crup whimpered and Kaida sent him a soft smile, "I'm alright Shield, no worries." The crup moved next to her and began to lick her face kissing her as she giggled, and the kneazle quickly joined in the playing. Kaida pushed them away gently, "Sorry Pride, Shield no time for playing today, I've got to feed all of you lot then I need to sleep for work." Shield whimpered, and Kaida petted his head softly, "You guys go to your beds, and I'll let you sleep in my bed with me tonight." The two creatures shot of through a door that was diagonally left of the ladder, which was Kaida's bedroom and also where their beds were. Kaida filled up their bowls with their food, which were in the main room, knowing that they could get to it if they needed it.

Kaida then went through the door that was located to the left of her bedroom door, and was met with three glass tanks that were extremely large. The first held what appeared to be six balls of pure fur, each one having different coloured fur – Puffskeins. Upon noticing her they all began chirping and humming, and moving towards the side of the enclosure she was stood next to and she reached in a lifted them all out allowing them to climb all over her for a bit, before eventually putting them back in their terrarium since she had a lot more to do. The second glass enclosure held a lizard-like creature similar to a bearded dragon – a Moke. It had silver-green skin that reflected the light that hung within the enclosure. The lizards tail flicked in greeting at Kaida but apart from that it didn't move. Lastly the third glass enclosure held a group of salamander creatures, specifically fire-dwelling salamanders, all of them a different red shade in colour. There was a group of around 10 of them, 9 of which ignored her presence however one approached her, and she lifted him out of the cage. The specific salamander she was holding was Charlie, a salamander that Charlie himself had found and given to Kaida to look after when he found him. Kaida scratched the small guy's head and he began to kick his leg in happiness as if he had an itch. Small humming noises came from the creatures as he rolled about on the girl's hand, though eventually play time had to end. "Sorry Charlie, I've got to go bud." The creature made a noise of upset but stopped when Kaida quickly added, "But we can play another day, and I'll give you some treats." Kaida gently placed Charlie back in his enclosure, and gave him some treats, and then she filled up the food in each of the glass enclosures before heading out of the room.

Next Kaida headed through another door, diagonally right of the ladder, which was next to the bed that held a napping Irene who had smoke oozing out of her nose, making Kaida giggle silently. Upon walking into the room, Kaida first took notice of the spike balls that were curled up nesting on one side of the room which was covered in grass and other shrubbery. She approached the group of four and filled their bowls up with food, and saw as one of the spike balls opened and Kaida was met with a small creature which was similar to a hedgehog – Knarls, this particular one being Wilbur (the youngest boy in the group). He approached her slowly and began to eat the food she left out, and Kaida just smiled, yet the smile faded into a grimace when she heard a noise behind her and then felt a pulling at her hair. She lifted her hands up to her hair and carefully grasped the creature that had worked its way up there, and then she brought her hands down in front of her face so she could make eye contact with the creature that practically smirked at her. It was a brown colour, with a white face and closely resembled a ferret; its body and tail was about 30cm long. Kaida looked at the creature – a Jarvey – with an emotionless face, and spoke, "Really Loki. Do we have to do this every time?" The creature made a noise that sounded like a laugh and then scurried off to annoy the other creatures. Kaida just sighed and filled up his bowl before quickly leaving the room to avoid any further harassment.

Before Kaida left the building, Kaida entered the storage room which was located to the right of the ladder. She opened the door and headed to the corner where there was a large incubator with a large egg underneath it – a Basilisk. Kaida had recently found it when she was contacted about a basilisk problem in Greece. Once she had arrived the basilisk had been killed and all the eggs smashed except for the one she found and decided to keep. Kaida checked over the egg and adjusted the light and heater before exiting the room. Kaida walked to the front door and she called over to Irene, "Irene are you joining me?" The flapping of wings was hear and within seconds, Irene was hovering next to Kaida and together the exited the building and into the surrounding fields.