Prologue

"On the count of murder in the first degree, we the jury find the defendant, Rory McIntosh...not guilty."

The gallery was in an uproar. Judge Avery banged his gavel to regain order but it took several minutes for the loud courtroom to become silent once again. Or as silent as it could due to the situation. After all, this is a high profile case. A dead Governor, no murder weapon, and a suspect that is in custody on account of one eye witness. Me.

Had the jury decided to convict the suspect, Rory, my story would've gone a little differently. After taking some time to heal from the pain of losing my father and not having another living relative on this earth, I would've eventually gotten myself together and moved passed this all. May have even found another guy to date. Get married. Possibly even start a family. 

Unfortunately, this was not the case. And I wouldn't have the luxury of dreaming like this for awhile.

My fate was sealed.

As I sat on the couch of the filthy motel, FBI agents swarming around me, I couldn't help but wonder how my life had gotten here. How two years of dating someone, getting engaged, and planning the rest of our lives could turn into watching the love of my life shoot my own father point blank in the head.

I didn't have too long to contemplate this before I was quickly brought to my feet and turned to the direction of the door.

Agent Rover was looking down at me with a concerned look on his face.

"Miss Evans, are you alright?"

Part of me felt like yelling at him for asking such a stupid question. My father was dead, his killer was free, and I would be on the run for the rest of my life. How could anyone be okay after this?

Instead, I opted for the simple "Yes."'

He paused.

"Good. Because we have to go. Now."