Chapter Five

I found myself dreading the dinner with Sheriff Jericho as the week dragged on and before I knew it, it was Friday evening. I had been debating on whether to cancel all day before it'd finally gotten too late to call it off. It was such an impulsive move, and I couldn't quite grasp what had made me ask him to dinner of all things! Sure he'd saved me from those creepy guys, but technically he was just doing his job. It wasn't like he was somewhere pining for his nephew's schoolteacher.
Shaking off the nerves, I stared down at the table and felt a sense of accomplishment while looking over the table settings and thinking the menu over. I'd prepared Cajun Butter steak bites paired with oven roasted potatoes and fresh steamed veggies. A charcuterie board filled with various meats and cheeses sat on the counter as an appetizer and for dessert, homemade apple pie. Some may say this was a tad overboard, but I found myself wanting to impress the brooding sheriff, seeing as ever time we saw each other I never seemed to have it together.

As soon as the clock hit seven, the doorbell rang. Nothing sexier than punctuality. Throwing the floral apron on the counter, I smooth out the wrinkles in my dress as I head to open the door. Paired with black sandals, the plum-colored maxi dress did wonders for my new figure. I'd even curled the blonde wig, hoping to bring life to the rather dull hair do.

Opening the door, I'm immediately at a loss for words as the attractive Sheriff stands on my porch. He still has his uniform on, which only makes it much harder to form a coherent sentence as a stare at his bulging muscles and the tan skin that peeks out underneath the two buttons that he's undone. This man was just too good-looking.

"You look great." He gruffly stated as we took in each other's appearances. 

Blushing slightly, I thank him and motion for him to come in. We walked into the living room and I encourage him to sit as I bring the charcuterie board over to the coffee table. 

"Would you like something to drink Sheriff? A glass of wine? Beer maybe?"

"Call me Atlas. And I'll have whatever you're havin' darlin'."

Nodding, I head into the kitchen to grab a bottle of my favorite wine, Domaine Grand Cru, two glasses and a bottle opener. I try to ignore the butterflies in my stomach at hearing him unintentionally call me by my real name. It sounded so good coming from him, it took everything in me not to tell him to just call me that. I'm sure that would raise questions that I couldn't answer even if I wanted it.

"This a nice place ya got here. I rode by a few times when they were building it, but none of the fellas knew who'd be living here." said Atlas.

He'd situated himself in the middle of the couch, meaning I'd either have to sit right beside him or go sit on the other end. Deciding not to be rude, I chose the latter and set the bottle and glasses beside the charcuterie board.

"Yes, after my grandmother passed Leah told me about a position opening up here so I decided to use the money she left me to build a home for myself." I explained.

I went to reach for the bottle, but he beat me to it. Catching a whiff of his cologne, I fight the urge to moan. I couldn't even begin to describe the smell, but I just knew it was something every man should smell like. Atlas grabbed the bottle opener and I watched as he popped the bottle open with ease. Pouring us both a fair amount, I'm so entranced at his graceful movements that I don't even notice when he holds a glass out to me.

"Oh, thank you Sheriff. Would you like something off of the charcuterie board?"

He frowns at me.