Chapter Seven

"You said what?!"

Rolling my eyes, I grabbed a tub of a ice cream from the freezer. "I told him I was sorry Leah."

She shook her head at me as I plopped down beside her and grabbed a spoon from me. After we left the lake, we decided to come back to my place for movies and junk food. Alyssa couldn't stay, seeing as she had a whole child to care for, but promised to hang with us another night.

"You're too nice for your own good. I mean the guy was a grade A douchebag, but you decide to apologize. Someone please make it make sense."

The more we hung out, the more I realized that Leah could turn her southern drawl on and off like a switch.

"Honestly I'm just not one for conflict." I informed her with a mouth full of cookies n' cream ice cream. "Not like it matters though, he clearly hates me now."

Before she could give me the "men are trash speech", her phone rang. She flashed me the caller id and I groaned out loud. It was Agent Rover.

"What butt breath?"

Stifling my laugh, I continued to eat ice cream as she filled Agent Rover in on everything that had been going on with me. Thankfully she left out my dinner with the towns Sheriff.  I'd gone over the events in my head a million times and realized that I still didn't know what I could've done differently. I just wasn't prepared to kiss him!

"Okay I'll make sure not to tell her." I heard Leah say.

I turn back to her, frowning at her words.

Leah gets off the phone a few minutes late, her expression is serious and somehow it doesn't look right on her.

"Rover just have me an update on Rory."

My eyes grew wide as I felt a familiar feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Fear.

"W-what about him?"

"Hey listen, you're okay Darling." She reaches out and grabbed my hand. "He hasn't found you or anything, he just went by your old school and asked around to some of the teachers. He wasn't exactly thrilled to hear that you hadn't worked there for like six months. Rover didn't want me to tell you, but we've talked about this. The only way you're getting over it is through it. And you will."

I offered her a weak smile. Leah was right, but that didn't stop the helpless feeling that washed over me as she informed me that my murderous ex-fiancé was out looking for me. Obviously, she meant well, but part of me wished she'd listened to Agent Rover and kept that bit of information to herself.

If she had, I wouldn't have woken up that same night from the worst nightmare I'd had in a while.

~*~

"Theo, please don't interrupt someone when they're speaking." I scolded him.

We'd been going at it since the bell rang this morning. Normally I would've just ignored him, but between the news that Rory was asking around for me and the nightmare I had, my mood was rather sour on this Monday. I wasn't stupid, I knew he'd been looking into me, but Rory never came by the school. Never met any of my colleagues, my boss, heck he barely remembered the name of the school I worked for! Leah said he probably wasn't getting anywhere with his own leads or PI, so he decided to check with schools. It felt good to know that he was coming up with dead ends, but that little fact did not help me sleep at night. If anything, it kept me up knowing that he would never stop until he found me.