Chapter Four

"Ooo let's get on this one first!" squealed Leah.

Alyssa and I hurried to catch up with her as we maneuvered through the crowded fair after quickly paying for our tickets. Sporting a fitted blue floral sundress and sandals, I felt somewhat overdressed as I glanced at Alyssa's plain tee and mom jeans.

"Maybe I should go home and change." I muttered to Leah as we stood in line to ride.

She gave me a once over, rolling her eyes playfully. "Oh sure yeah, we can just take the forty-five-minute drive back to your place to let ya change then come back."

Frowning, I stuck my tongue out at her childishly.

"Don't pay Leah any mind Hun, you look amazing! If I had a body like that, I'd just walk around nude all day." Alyssa reassured me.

Before I could process that as a compliment and thank her, the ride operator signaled for us to hop on, thus beginning our adventure for the evening. I was a little hesitant to get on any ride, seeing as I was wearing a wig after all, but thanks to the twenty bobby pins and a small white headband, I felt reassured that it wasn't going anywhere. We got on so many rides I was sure I'd  throw up all the contents of my stomach before the evening was over with. This probably wasn't a good idea since I was pretty sure the entire town was here tonight, so we ended up sitting down at one of the picnic tables, ginger ale's in hand.

I'd even caught a glimpse of Sheriff Jericho standing with a few officers and two women who seemed to be oozing desperation. The one standing in front of him was a pretty brunette with a cheetah print halter top, what had to be the world's shortest red mini skirt. I could barely make out her face, seeing as we were sitting a few feet away at a picnic table, but I was willing to bet money that she had makeup caked all over her face.

"What in the blue hill highway is Patricia Mayfield wearing?! Her skirt's so tight if she farts it'll blow her boots off!" Alyssa huffed. 

Giggling, Leah and I couldn't help but agree with her colorful statement.

"But I guess she has to make up for her low IQ somehow. Mark my words, if that girl had an idea it would die of loneliness."

By now we were full out laughing at Alyssa and her cruel words towards the poorly dressed woman. The group turned towards us, and I tried to ignore the feeling in the pit of my stomach as I glanced at the handsome Sheriff. Of course, I couldn't stare long since Patricia and her friends made their way over to us.

"Why, Alyssa Conway is that you? I hardly recognized you, with you losing all that weight and whatnot."

Her voice was probably the second most annoying sound I had ever heard. The first would have to be the little laugh she let out at her own weak joke towards Alyssa. It sounded like she was wheezing and needed air.

Alyssa opened her mouth, most likely to tell Patricia where to stick it, but Leah interrupted her. "Oh I just love your top Hun, where'd ya get it? Hoe's r us?"

Patricia scoffed.

"And who are you supposed to be exactly?"

"I'd be Leah Dixon. And if I were you, I'd leave now before I get real embarrassed real fast sugar."

I choked back a laugh, watching a wide-eyed Patricia gawk at Leah's words. Her eyes snapped to me before plastering a fake smile on her face. "I don't think we've had the pleasure of meeting. I'm Patricia Mayfield, daughter to Mayor Judd Mayfield."