PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE: before the storm

*⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

Marlee awakens to the movement on her bed, tensing slightly.

   "S' just me, Mar," mumbled the familiar voice of JJ. She feels the bed dip with his weight, her chest deflating with the knowledge. It wasn't uncommon for JJ to wind up at her house, usually spending most of his nights with her or John B.

   "You okay?" asked Marlee, opening her eyes slightly. She didn't turn around, not wanting to see if her best friend was beaten. Every time it happened she couldn't help the tears in her eyes, but JJ dismisses it like nothing.

JJ wraps his arms around the redhead, pulling her closer to his chest gently. Marlee tries not to move in case he's sore. "I am now," he sighed, his head resting near the crook of her shoulder. Just that alone told her it was bad. Most nights that JJ stays over, he keeps his distance. When he doesn't, something really went wrong at home, and it pains Marlee to think about. She just wished he never had to go back there, but knows it's not that easy. Despite everything, it's his dad.

   "Need me to clean anything up?" Marlee questioned, the phrase used when he had bad cuts, usually on his cheek. She would always be there to pick up the pieces. Being only a few houses down, it seemed to be JJ's easiest escape, and she never minded.

She listens for a long moment, not getting answer. Only hearing steady breaths, she assumes he fell asleep already. Whatever it was took a lot out of him, and Marlee was relieved he felt okay enough to get some sleep at her house. Running her hand back and fourth lightly over his hand, she settles back comfortably, trying to put the boy out of her mind and get back to sleep. They've been like this for years, she should be used to it by now. She should be used to him. But every time he holds her like this, Marlee can't help it. It's only because he needs comfort, there wasn't any underlying reasons. She has to tell herself that, so her mind doesn't wander. She already spent her childhood practically in love with JJ, and now that they were older, she didn't want to do it again in fear of loosing him. Whatever happened between them now, didn't escalate to feelings.

Shaking her head lightly, Marlee falls asleep to the steady sounds of JJ's breaths, not minding the tight hold he had on her.

*⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

Marlee picks up the note on her dresser, smiling at the messy handwriting. 'Meet us at John B's. -J' Quickly tossing on some shorts and a tank top, she slips her shoes on and heads out of her room to check on Gramma Jean. Lately, she had been having more trouble feeding herself with how shaky she had grown. She spots the woman seated at the table, already eating the breakfast Marlee usually had to make.

  "That boy of yours came through this morning. Made all my meals for the day, so you're set sweetheart," Jean smiles, setting down the fork. Marlee glances to the countertop at a reachable height for her grandma's wheelchair, two more small meals laid out and smiles. "Although he burnt the toast."