four

| CHAPTER FOUR | what's worse

*⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

"Well that was a lovely screaming match," John B smiled up at her as she entered the Chataeu, the door slamming behind her. Marlee huffed in annoyance, plopping down beside him on the pull out couch as they hear JJ's bike speed away. As promised, she gave JJ a piece of her mind on all the things he cannot stop her from doing, and the utter stupidness of actually shooting the gun. She didn't have as much of a problem with using it to get Topper to stop, but shooting it only put JJ in jeopardy. The cops could find out, and then his dad could find out, and Marlee was worried for him.

She kicks her feet up, reclining backwards. "Thanks," she muttered, closing her eyes, exhausted. After the kegger disastor, she went to check on her grandma, who was already fast asleep, before deciding to stay with John B for the night. She knew he had to be reeling from what Topper said, just that he was hiding it well. "Are you okay?" Marlee asked, cracking open one eye to look at John B, in hopes he wouldn't just blow it off.

"My face fuckin' hurts," he shrugged, Marlee frowning at the response. She sat up, crossed her legs, and stared with squinted eyes until he continued. John B knew exactly what she was talking about. "Drowned," is all he simply said. With slight confusion, she thought for a moment about what he meant.

"Everyone says it, but it might not be true," Marlee whispered, softening. She knew it wasn't the same thing, but from time to time people would tell her all about her addict parents who died trying to get their next fix. In her heart, she always remembered making her parents promise not to drive like that, and them always reassuring her they wouldn't. And to think they could've crashed knowing the risks, knowing how that was the one thing she asked from them, hurt her even more. The risk for the reward was somehow worth more than staying alive for their own daughter.

John B nodded, before Marlee could hand over the only now half-frozen bag of peas from her house. He took it, gently holding it to his eye. "My dad wasn't an idiot. He wouldnt just--" His voice broke, and the lump in her throat is back. She hated seeing any of her friends this hurt. If anything, she just wished she could put it all on herself.

"I know," she mumbled, crawling over to him up on her knees and hugging him from behind. Her head rested on top of his, and Marlee can practically feel the tension leave him. "Don't ever let anyone tell you they knew how your dad worked. You know him best. If you say he didn't, then he didn't," confirmed Marlee, believing her words wholeheartedly. Someone as smart as his dad doesn't just disappear like that.

She didn't move for a long time, not until she heard his breaths come evenly again. "Thanks, Mar," John B said, cueing Marlee to ruffle his hair before sitting back again, in her own spot.

Smiling gently, she shrugged. "It's nothin'. Anytime you need a pep talk JB, I gotcha'," Marlee winked, watching a yawn escape John B. She follwed suit, mentally exhausted. Seeing Topper and the stress of the fight hit her hard, as well as the alcohol. Suddenly, something hit her face, the redhead flincing. She sat up to find a rubber band in her lap, proceeding to scowl at John B. "What was that for?"