Chapter Six

I looked at Maricella and blinked. She wanted to go to the meeting. Anxiety rose up in me and Michael and Ezekiel reacted to my mood, perking up, looking around for the danger. "No." I stared at her and she crossed her arms over her chest, her grey eyes narrowing in defiance.

"Bennett gets to go." She practically spat it out, her lips pinching into an almost perturbed pout.

I fought back the anxiety as I gestured to her silent mate as he leaned against the wall behind her. "Bennett doesn't have to. He can stay right here with you if you are so concerned." I glanced at him and he gave a small nod. He didn't want her there anymore than I did, which I was more than thankful for. I knew Micheal and Ezekiel wanted her there just as much as we did. There was no way she was getting her way.

"Luka, I want to watch you interact with the pack." She went from upset to what someone else might have called petulant but I knew Maricella better than that. She didn't do petulance, she was incapable of it.

I bit back the urge to tell her there was no way she wanted to see me interact with my pack the way I was going to interact with them. "You have seen how I interact with the pack. It's just a meeting to introduce my new Delta. You've met him already so it would be redundant for you to be there." I hid a wince as she narrowed her eyes at me. Her gaze was accusing, she knew I was lying to her. I never knew how she always knew but she did. I wondered if it was the Baiter in her.

"Don't take off your necklace." The words were snapped out as her gaze fell to the pendant she gave me.

I frowned in confusion. "What?" I looked at her carefully and she set her jaw in a stubborn look that made me want to hide from attempting to talk her out of anything. Maricella was stubborn to a fault when she wanted to be.

"You are hiding something from me, Luka, and I don't like it. Don't take off the necklace. It has a protection spell on it and if something happens, I want to know you are safe so it stays on." She ground the words out and I looked at her, blinking. She was hurt at my untruth. She was trying to hide it but I could see it on the edges of her expression.

I sucked in air through my teeth and rubbed at my arm. I felt fucking bashful. I was an Alpha. I shouldn't feel bashful for anyone. "I'm taking care of some dissenters in the pack and I don't want you there in case things go... bad." I glanced at her and her face fell, the hurt evident and the anger completely gone.

"Why didn't you tell me? I would have understood. You didn't have to lie." She said it softly, her arms dropping to her sides. It was that soft voice she used that had my heart damn near turning over in my chest. I hated that feeling I got from it, I hated disappointing her, hurting her.

I winced and ran my hand through my hair. "I didn't want you to worry." I watched as she frowned slightly before letting out a soft sigh.

"I worry, Luka, it's just what I do. I worry for everyone I care about. Thank you for telling me the truth." She looked at Bennett before her frown deepened. "Bennett, I am your mate but I refuse to dictate to you. If you wish to go with Luka you may but please keep yourself and Luka safe. That is all I require of you if you go."

Bennett shifted his weight as if nervous under his mate's gaze. "I will come back to you in one piece and Luka will as well. I swear it." He lowered his head in a quick nod to her and she looked mollified by that.

"I'm going to visit with Gamgam. I have no place on a potential battlefield." Mari said it lightly before walking over and hugging Bennett tightly. "If you come back with any wounds on your body. I am going to be sorely disappointed with you and leave you suffer all by yourself." It was an empty threat, Maricella wouldn't allow Bennett to go anywhere with a wound she could tend. She let him go before walking out of the room as if without a care.