o n e

The clock ticks absentmindedly above the sofa where young Sarah Miller lies, light snores escaping her. The room was darkly lit and her mother leans against the table in the kitchen, tapping her phone against her chin.

Suddenly the door opens and in steps Joel, talking hurriedly to his brother down the phone.

Naomi makes her way into the living room, her eyebrows raised in questioning as he sighs. "Tommy, I - Tommy, listen to me, he is the contractor, okay? I can't lose this job."

He goes silent and rubs his eyes. "I understand."

Sarah gives a small yawn, sitting up as Naomi sits down beside her and Joel turns off his phone.

"Scoot." He mutters and the pair move up, allowing him to sit with them. He places his hand on Naomi's thigh, rubbing his thumb over the fabric of her jeans as he leans back.

"Fun day at work, huh?" Sarah questions and he sighs.

"What're you doing up? Does someone not know that it's late?" Joel retorts, giving a glance to his wife, who innocently smiles.

"She wanted to stay up for today." She replies and Sarah's eyes widen. "Oh crud, what time is it?" She exclaims, scrambling to take a look at the clock.

"It's way past your bedtime." Joel states and she gives him a grin. "But it's still today."

Sarah leans over the arm of the sofa, grabbing a small box and Joel yawns, running his other hand through his hair.

"Honey, please not right now. I do not have the energy for this." He murmurs, but she ignores him and hands it over. "Here."

"What's this?" His concerned look makes Naomi chuckle as she pats his hand. "Your birthday." She says.

Joel opens it to reveal a watch and Sarah shrugs. "You kept complaining about your broken watch, so we figured, you know. You like it?"

He puts it on his wrist and frowns. "Honey this is..." he trails off and she looks at her mother, worried. "What?"

He taps the watch and shakes his head. "It's nice, but I - I think it's stuck. It's not..."

"What? No, no, no, no." Sarah clambers over Naomi's lap and grabs his hand to look but he laughs slightly.

Noticing he was kidding, she glares at him and pushes his hand away, sitting back to where she was. "Oh, ha, ha." She grumbles making her mother laugh.

"Where did you get the money for this?" Joel asks and Naomi opens her mouth to speak, but Sarah cuts her off: "drugs. I sell hardcore drugs."

"Oh good, you can start helping out with the mortgage then." Her mother jokes and Sarah tuts. "Yeah, you wish."

The trio stay sitting there, watching TV into the early hours of the morning when Naomi notices Sarah asleep.

Joel picks her up, taking her upstairs, followed by his wife and the pair tuck their daughter in. Naomi kisses her forehead. "Goodnight, honey." She whispers as Joel stands in the doorway.

She turns off the light and closes the door behind, turning to face Joel. "You were out late." She whispers.

He heads towards their shared room and she rolls her eyes, following. He closes the door and leans against it with a sigh.

"Contact fell through."

Naomi nods, placing her hands on his shoulders. "I know, sweetheart." She runs her hands down his arms, taking his hands in hers.

"But there'll be others." She adds, bringing his hand to her lips and kissing them softly, making him melt at her touch.

Joel doesn't say a word, allowing her to brush her fingers over him until they reach his face and she pulls him down for a kiss.

"Happy birthday, baby." She whispers against his lips and he grins, pulling her in for more.

A loud shot pierces through them, making Naomi pull away in an instant. Joel keeps his hands around her waist, the pair waiting for something.

A sudden scream, more shots and heavy objects hitting the ground.

Naomi turns on the TV to the news, reporting multiple riots and there's suddenly knocks on their front door, making her jump.

"You stay here. I'll go check out what's happening. Promise me you won't leave." Joel orders and she hesitantly nods.

He leaves her and she sits at the end of the bed, but the sound coming from the TV seems to drown out.

The phone rings by her bedside table and she rushes to it. "Hello?"

"Ni, sweetheart, I need you to get Joel on the phone." Tommy rushes.

"Why? What's wrong? What's happening?" She interrogates.

"I need to speak to him now. There's some -" The line goes dead and Naomi freezes. "Hello? Tommy?" Her voice is quiet and desperate and nobody answers.

She places the phone back down, turning her attention to the news that broadcasted the nationwide pandemic.

"Mom?"

Naomi jumps slightly, instantly switching the TV off and looking to her daughter, who stood in the doorway, rubbing her eyes.

"What was that about? Where's daddy?" She asks.

"Nothing, Sarah. Why don't we go downstairs and make a drink?" Naomi says, giving a reassuring smile.

Sarah nods, oblivious to what was happening and makes her way downstairs. Naomi looks out the window where an explosion ignites the sky, erupting with black smoke.

"Mom?" Sarah calls and the woman regains her composure. "Coming!"

Sarah holds Joel's phone and she shows the screen to her mother. "He has eight missed calls and some messages from Tommy."

Naomi takes it off her, scanning over them when suddenly, Joel bursts into the house and closes the door as fast as he had opened it.

"There you are." Sarah states.

"Ni, Sarah, are you both okay?" He asks and his daughter nods, confused. "Has anyone come in here?" He adds.

"No, why would anyone come in here?" Naomi questions, but he ignores her, pulling a case on to the desk.

"Don't go near the doors. Take Sarah and stand back there." Joel instructs and she does as he says, moving them to the corner.

"Joel, you're scaring me. What is it?" She breathes.

"It's the Coopers. Somethin' ain't right with 'em. I think they're sick." He mutters, opening the case and pulling out a gun.

"Sick? What do you mean, what kind of sick?" Sarah asks him just as an infected Cooper slams into the sliding glass door, startling them all.

Naomi pushes Sarah behind her. "Jimmy!" She exclaims and Sarah peeks out behind her, eyeing the gun. "Dad?"

"Honey, it's okay." Joel promises, standing protectively in front of his family. "Jimmy." He shouts as he comes crashing through the glass. "Jimmy, just stay back. Jimmy, I am warning you!"

"Oh my god." Sarah whispers, burying her face in her mother's shirt.

Jimmy steps towards them and Joel makes no hesitation in shooting him. The body crashes to the floor and he turns to his horrified wife.

Grabbing her, he forces her attention on him. "I saw him this morning." She whispers, her glazed eyes fixing on his.

"There is something bad going on, so we need to go, okay?" He tells her and she nods.

Flashing headlights illuminate their window and grabs Joel's attention. "Tommy, c'mon." He says, making sure his wife and daughter leave the house before him.