s i x

Fall

"Jackson County. Means we're close to Jackson City, right?" Ellie asks, reading the sign.

Naomi stands a few steps away from the pairing, her eyes scanning the area as she bites her lip.

"Shouldn't be more than a few miles." Joel answers, watching her and the way she uncomfortably stood, ready to pounce at any second.

"You ready to see dear old brother?" Ellie adds.

"I'm just ready to get there."

"You nervous?" Ellie adds.

"I don't know what I'm feeling." He admits, looking down at the ring on Naomi's finger and she motions for him to take the lead.

"What happened to Tommy?" She asks and he looks surprised that she was even talking to him.

"Tommy saw the world one way. I saw it the other."

"And that's why he joined the Fireflies?" Ellie questions and Joel nods. "Your friend Marlene promise him hope."

"He sure did get desperate." Naomi mutters.

"Well, that kept him busy for a while, but just like Tommy -"

"He quit it?" She questions and going off his look, she nods. "Of course he did."

Ellie looks between them and tries to continue the conversation: "How was it, the last time you saw him?"

"I believe his last words to me were: 'I don't ever want to see your goddamned face again'." Joel recalls.

Naomi scoffs, laughing slightly and he stops, turning to face her. "Somethin' funny?"

"No surprise that you pushed him away. It was bound to happen eventually." She states and he grits his teeth.

"Is he even gonna help us?" She continues and he holds her glare, but eventually breaks it and continues walking down the bank.

She rolls her eyes. "You don't know."

Joel ignores her, heading uphill to a hydroelectric power plant. They figure out a way across and Ellie complains about her hunger, receiving no sympathy from either adult.

The trio come across a looming power plant gate and stop, questioning what to do.

"Should we head in?" Ellie questions.

"Ain't no way around. Gonna have to cut through." Naomi says, unsheathing her machete from on her back and twirling it in her hand.

Joel heads up the gate, ready to push it open but he falters at the sound of positioning guns.

"Don't even think about reaching for your weapons." A woman orders and Ellie immediately aims her pistol.

"Tell the girl to drop hers. Now."

"Ellie, do as she says." Joel orders, backing away from the gate, joining the pair in standing down as the woman frowns at them. "Please tell me you're lost."

"We didn't know the place was occupied. We're just trynna make our way through." Naomi speaks, putting her weapon away to show she was no threat.

"Through to where?"

"They're alright." A man speaks up for them, opening up the gate and the lady looks confused. "You know these people?"

"I know the two." The voice sounds as the gate opens. "He's my goddamn brother."

"Tommy." Joel breathes, his eyes wide in surprise at actually seeing him.

"Holy shit." Tommy says, walking towards him and instantly pulling him in for a hug. Joel regains himself, hugging him back.