t w e l v e

Spring

"Don't go." He pleads and she smiles. "This is it for me, Joel."

Joel shakes his head. "You said to the Fireflies." He reminds her. "Where would you go? What would you do?"

Naomi hums. "Go back to Tommy. Get a few supplies and then see where the road takes me."

"On your own?"

"I can take care of myself."

Stood on the bridge, the pairing stand opposite each other as Ellie sits away from them, watching distantly. They had all changed and continued on their journey when Naomi had decided that it would be too hard for her to go on as they were. The woman had assured them she would get them as close as she could and that would be the end. Joel and Ellie had tried everything for her to stay.

"Twenty years was a long time." She whispers, her voice getting choked up.

A slight breeze passes over him and Joel tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear. He then adjusts her bandana she had kept on since they had reunited.

"Please don't do this." He whispers.

Her hands go to his shoulders and she trails them down to his hands, taking them in her own and kissing them softly. She taps his broken watch, a stray tear falling.

"I can't do this." Her voice cracks and he holds back his own tears.

"And I can't go another twenty years without you."

Naomi smiles, laughing to shake away her tears. "Take the kid to the Fireflies. Save the world and look after her."

"Baby -"

The way he said it made her shiver slightly and she squeezes his hands. "Until we meet again, cowboy."

Joel lets his hands slide down to her waist and he pulls her in, capturing her lips in a long overdue passionate kiss.

Ellie smiles softly at their love as if they had never been apart at all.

The pairing pull away, breathless and Naomi keeps her eyes closed, savouring the moment as he wipes at her tears.

She opens them, giving him a smile as she breaks away, clearing her throat and directing her attention to Ellie.

"Thank you for everything." Ellie says and she nods. "Good luck, kiddo. Sarah would've loved you."

Naomi looks back at Joel, who never took his eyes off her and she places one last kiss on his lips, pulling away just as quick.

The woman turns away, not looking back and Joel's eyes stay shut, his lips tingling and he slowly opens them. He stares at the back of her, his emotions flooding him all at once.

"Ni." He croaks out, but his wife doesn't turn back and he helplessly watches as his lover leaves him once more.