t w o

"Where the hell you been? You have any idea what's goin' on out there?" Tommy shouts, hastily kissing Naomi on the cheek and she pulls open the back door, letting Sarah clamber in.

"I got some notion." Joel mutters, placing his hand on the lower back of his wife. "C'mon, baby. Get in there."

She takes a quick glance around before getting in, allowing him to close the door. She looks out the window to see him exchanging quick words with Tommy.

Joel shakes his head, getting into the passenger side and the brother takes the driver's seat. "You gonna tell me what happened?" He asks.

"Later." Joel answers.

"Hey, Sarah. How you holdin' up, honey?" Tommy turns his direction to his niece as he reverses out their drive and onto the road.

"I'm fine." She says quietly, cuddling into the side of her mother. "Can we hear what's on the radio?"

"Yeah. Sure thing."

Tommy turns it on and she smiles. "Thanks." She mumbles and Naomi pulls her close, her eyes wide and frantic as she searches the area outside.

"No cellphone. No radio. Yeah, we're doin' great." Tommy grumbles. "Minute ago, newsman wouldn't shut up."

"They say where to go?" Naomi questions.

"He said ah... Army's puttin' up road blocks on the highway. No gettin' into Travis County." He answers, taking a glance back at her.

"That means we need to get the hell out. Take 71." Joel orders.

"71. That's where I'm headed." Tommy agrees, the three watching as multiple police cars speeds in front of them.

"Did they say how many are dead?" Sarah questions and Joel gives her a look.

"Probably a lot. Found this one family all mangled in their house." Tommy answers.

"Tommy." Joel scolds and Naomi hits him on the back of the head, making him curse and remember that Sarah was still only a child. "Right. Sorry."

They continue along the road, their attention being drawn to an accident at the side and Joel grimaces at the state of their town. "Jesus Christ. How did this happen?"

"They got no clue. But we ain't the only town. At first they were saying it was just the South. Now they're going on about the East coast, the West coast..."

Tommy trails off at the burning building and Naomi stares in horror, her dark eyes shining from the flames.

"That's Louis' farm." She realises. "I hope that son of a bitch made it out."

"I'm sure he did." Joel tries to reassure her and Sarah looks up at her mom, worry and doubt crossing her face.

"Are we sick?"

"No, no of course not." Naomi replies.

"How do you know?"

She shares a glance with Joel, who had turned in his seat to face them. "They said it's just ah, people in the city. We're good." He offers.

"Didn't Jimmy work in the city?" Sarah recalls and Naomi nods, tucking a strand of her hair behind her daughter's ear. "That's right. He did."

"We're fine. Trust me." Joel states, turning back to look out the front.

Tommy starts to slow down for a family stood at the side of the road. "Let's see what they need."