12

twelve

"Do you think they slept together?"

"If they slept together why would he be on the couch?"

"I don't know, maybe to not make it obvious that they slept together."

"This conversation is making me highly uncomfortable."

"Miles, Vincent, what are you doing?!"

Entering the living room, I scowl at the sight of them eyeing a sleeping Harry, their arms crossed and eyebrows scrunched together.

"We're trying to figure out why he slept over." Miles voices, a hint of displeasure dripping past his lips as he wrinkles his nose up.

"Because he lives far and we were out late. Now can you give him some space and stop being weird?"

Miles grumbles incoherent words under his breath while Vincent merely smirks and saunters off to the kitchen. I tug on the sweater I slept in as I quietly follow after Vincent, leaving an unnerved Miles behind.

"Did you hear the good news?" Vincent asks softly, pulling a carton of eggs out of the fridge.

"No? What good news?"

"I had my second interview at La Cachette yesterday-,"

"Oh my god?! How did it go?" I whisper yell once more, not wanting to wake Harry as I struggle to contain my excitement.

"And.. I got the job. They told me as soon as the interview was over."

I give Vincent a hug, squealing into his shirt.

"When do you start?"

Miles swiftly enters the kitchen and grabs his car keys, "I'm gonna go get donuts. Any suggestions?"

Vincent glances down at his eggs and then sets them aside, "anything chocolate for me."

"Same," I answer, hardly paying attention to Miles.

When he leaves the apartment, Vincent turns back to me.

"What were we saying? Oh, right, I put in my two weeks notice, so once that's up I can start."

"You'll be working at the bar?"

The sound of a groggy and raspy voice catches us both by surprise. Harry enters the space that Miles just left from, his curls rumpled and sticking up in all directions. He appears as if he hasn't gotten much sleep. I told him to take my room, but he insisted on the couch.

Now I feel bad.

"Oh, good morning," Vincent and I say in unison, although Vincent sounded much perkier than I did.

"But uh, yeah, I'll be working at La Cachette in the coming weeks. I'm Vincent, by the way," he extends his hand for Harry to shake.

"I'm sure you know me as Harry," Harry smirks, taking his hand without hesitance.

"Which do you prefer? Harry or Ezra?"

For a second my heart drops, but then I remember that Delilah and Danny are staying at Danny's parents.

"I'm Harry. In Astoria, I'm Ezra. It's confusing, I know, but er, feel free to just call me Harry here."

Vincent chuckles, "you got it."

Well, Vincent was being a lot more easy going than I thought he would be.

We stand in an awkward silence. I clutch hold of the counter's edge and gaze down at the floor, watching as stray speckles of sunlight graze its surface. It was then I realized how badly the kitchen needed to be swept.