37

thirty seven

I didn't know what Harry meant. His tone and words made it clear that he had no place to say much else. Not until Miles arrived.

When Miles finally did, though-a little after nine- not a single atom of my existence was prepared for what was to come.

"God I've missed you," Miles's embrace is suffocating in the most fulfilling of ways. And for a second, I was able to set aside all of the hurt and confusion and fear.

"Took you long enough."

He huffs out an exhaustive breath, "had to take care of a few things. Good to see you, Harry."

We settle inside, the blinds fully closed and the door secured with various locks. I felt like Rapunzel, being kept away from the world in this figurative tower. Except prince charming was on my side of the wall and the evil mother was out there, roaming the grounds I craved to touch.

"He hasn't been giving you a hard time, has he?"

This is nothing but a hard time.

"No," is all I say, though.

Harry gives a subtle roll of the eyes, falling against the cushion adjacent to Miles so that they were both diagonal from me. I was sat atop a cotton pillow, slightly leaning on my hip for comfort. The way their eyes punctured me was inexplicably intimidating, I was nearly convinced Harry's living area transformed into an interrogation room- Miles's investigative eyes scrutinizing the odd angle of my posture and the way I pick at the clammy skin of my palm.

"I've ran conversations through my head, but I don't think you can really prepare for this.. so I'm not entirely sure where to begin-,"

"Why?" Jumping right into it. I've been patient enough.

Harry looks at Miles, not entirely sure what I mean but expecting an answer nonetheless. I didn't even know what I meant, but it felt to be the ultimate question. The ruddy foundation of fermented blocks that ached to be expanded on, sturdy stones that wouldn't weather away with the wind. Why.

"Why.. to everything?" I press forward, "why would you decide to go to Seattle? Why was Vince attacked that one night? Why am I only safe with Harry and not you? Why did you go through so much effort to conceal his identity when I would have to know? Why did E-fuck-," I exhale a breath, "why did Easton take those files? Why.. how... why Miles? Just why?"

I wasn't even sure if I was touching base with all of the questions I had. There were so many complex pieces to this puzzle that I was beginning to wonder what image could possibly be arranged from this.

"Ollie? How about I start from the most pivotal point and work my way through? You just listen until I'm done. Can you do that?"

Harry looks at me with worried green eyes, the speckle of light in his iris a beacon of reassurance that steadies the rhythm of my heart.

"Okay."

"Okay? So, wow, my mind has gone blank." His ginger hair is ruffled around with untimely fingers, attempting to appease the overwhelming blanket of confession. And next thing I know, Harry is sitting beside me, his movements swifter than moonlight breaking through the cracks of broken branches.