Barley Lightfoot - Beautiful

This is a special imagine for an amazing author spiderneds who make their own Onward imagines which are so amazing! Like so so good! Anyways they needed a bit of a pick me up and I thought I'd take this opportunity to give them something as thanks for being such an amazing author and giving me some happiness with their writing and for being a cool person in general. I hope you like this! This is all the fluff just for you! 🖤💙💜

Barley stirred in his sleep, the early morning light disturbing his slumber. He rolled to his side and squinted his eyes open. The light wasn't so harsh now that he was faced away from it but it was still bright. After a minute of the blinking and the rubbing of the eyes his vision finally cleared and he was able to see the shape of his lovely wife beside him. Y/n laid on her side facing him, her hands tucked under her cheek and lips slightly parted.

He smiled as he looked at her. He's not sure how he got so lucky to have someone as sweet and amazing as her but he thanks everything he knows that he does. It's been seven amazing years together, five of them married, and he wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Gently, and oh so carefully as to not wake her up, he touched her cheek, letting his palm rest there as his thumb traced the shape of her lips. "Bar, you're staring again." Her voice came out quiet and groggy. He slightly winced.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you. But how can I not stare at the most beautiful maiden in the world?" He smiled as she let out a little chuckle.

"I don't know how beautiful I look in the mornings but thanks, hun."

"You always look beautiful to me." One of her eyes slowly cracked open to look at him as a slight pink hue dusted her cheeks. Even after all this time he could still make her blush.

"Look at you being such a charmer so early in the morning." She joked with a smile.

"Only for you, my dear." She laughed as he gave her a quick peck. They lapsed into a comfortable silence as she fell asleep again leaving Barley to venture into his thoughts once more.

He remembers when he first saw her. Not first meeting saw her but actually saw her. They had been childhood friends. They met a couple of years after his dad had passed and became instant friends. Growing up she helped him take care of Ian and was his best friend. It was around the time he turned 18. She had gone on a long vacation with her family to visit relatives who lived in different cities and she came back a few weeks before the last year of school.

He had been anxiously waiting for her to come back and when he got her text saying she was home he instantly raced to her house. He ran all the way there, forgetting in his excitement that he could have taken Guinevere. It's a good thing that she only lived a few streets down. He picked up his pace as he saw her house, the family's mini van parked in the drive way. He was just a few yards away now but he suddenly stopped in his tracks.

Y/n was helping her dad pull suitcases out of the back of the van and laughing at a dad joke he made. Barley probably would have laughed too had he heard what was said. But he wasn't really able to hear anything at that moment. It was like he was frozen.

For some reason, in this moment, with the wind ruffling her hair and the sun lighting up her features, she was beautiful. He had always thought she was pretty because she was his friend. But this was different. It was like he was suddenly seeing her for the first time. He didn't have time to really think on it because that's when she saw him.

"Barley!" She yelled excitedly and ran to him, practically throwing herself into his arms in a hug. He pulled himself together quickly and hugged her back. She pulled away with the biggest smile and once again he only had one thought. Beautiful. "Man, I missed you so much! There's so much I gotta tell you! Come on!" She took his hand and started to pull him into her house towards her room. For the first time he was nervous around her and he suddenly became painfully aware of something.

He had feelings for his best friend.

He kept it to himself for a few years after that. Only really getting the courage to ask her out after his epic quest with his little brother Ian. He had driven Guinevere II to her house as the sun was setting. He ran around to the backyard and stood under her window. After a few tries of tossing pebbles at the window she finally opened it and leaned out, propping herself on her arms on the ledge.

"Barley? What are you doing? Are you okay?"

His voice failed him for a moment as he stared at her, the moonlight gently shining on her as if even it just wants to be with her. Beautiful, he thought. He swallowed down the lump in his throat and placed a hand over his heart, the other reaching out to her.

"My beautiful lady, the stars pale in comparison to your eyes which shine like a thousand suns, but I would pluck them all from the sky if only to see your smile. Your laugh is more melodic than the best written symphonies, but I would write them all if only to make you happy. I can't offer much but my heart is yours. All I ask is just one evening so that I may try to earn yours in return."

She smiled down at him with the most loving look he had ever seen from her and his worries seemed to fade away, disappearing completely with her next words. "My brave knight, my heart is already yours."

He blinked for a moment in stunned silence. "Was... Was that a yes?"

She laughed. "Yes, Barley, that was a yes."

"Yes! Woohoo!" He cheered loudly making her laugh more.

Barley was brought out of his reverie by a sound from the other room. Carefully he slid out of bed so he wouldn't wake her again and went to the bedroom across from theirs. "Hey, there, princess." Barley cooed to the little two year old girl who laid on her back, arms waving and body wiggling as she looked at him. He smiled as he picked her up and held her. "You ready to wake up for the day?" She babbled at him in response. "Let's go get you some breakfast, yeah? But let's not be too loud okay? Mama needs some more rest. She's got your little sibling to grow after all."

He smiled as he quietly walked past their bedroom, closing the door on his way to further muffle any noise he and the baby may make. He sat at the table feeding her and thinking again about how lucky he is. He's got a beautiful wife, a beautiful daughter, and in just a few months he'll have another beautiful little child.

All in all his life is just beautiful.

A/n
Okay imma be honest, my heart melted writing this like just full on mush 🥺 Barley is so freaking adorable I can't handle it 😭
Anyways I hope you enjoyed this! I had a bit of trouble starting but I love how it turned out to be honest 🥰
Thank you for reading! I love you all!!! 🖤💙💜🖤💙💜🖤💙💜