eight.

the rain drizzled on the tinted window of their shared minivan. ted was driving at the moment, but travis knew that wouldn't last. he knew he'd be the only properly sober one that evening, considering even schlatt and carson spoke earlier about itching for a drink, so his best bet was to keep watch over the boys and always be on the look-out for any mishaps.

the rain got heavier as they got closer to the doorbell, and the door was quick to open, welcoming them all inside mason's new house. it was big, spacious, and would be quite luminous in the daytime.

instantly, travis saw her. she was dancing with a drink in her hand, her head bumping to the beat of the song.

each of the lunch club members had agreed that they would all head home as soon as one of them wanted to, and then strayed away from each other. travis wanted to pipe in and tell them not to lose one another, but it was too late.

for the night that slowly went, he quietly kept watch. he interacted with some, chatted with others, and even joked around with certain groups. his mind hadn't left the image of (y/n) dancing, and he kept replaying it unconsciously, smiling to himself at her ethereal beauty and the sense of completeness that she gave him.

it wasn't long before he ventured into the living room again. right as he stepped towards the archway that led to the dimmed room, he spotted schlatt suspiciously close to the girl he was desperately needing in his life, and suddenly, his world started to burn.

she pressed her lips against schlatt's, and before travis could see the outcome of the kiss, he swung his palm over his mouth and ran upstairs, his eyes closing and watering with pain, both in his lungs and his heart. the itch - it came and didn't leave, scratching at his chest and nearly puncturing within, and travis sprinted to the bathroom.

////

"hey, woah!" schlatt took her shoulders in his big hands and lightly pushed her away from him. her eyes widened, changing from their hazed state, and her brows raised, mouth agape, clearly not expecting this response.

"what?" she quietly asked in bewilderment, and breathed in deeply, the rest of her standing frozen and slowly turning her eyes to the wall beside him.

"(y/n)..i-" he began.

"no, schlatt, i get it.. i-i'm sorry-"

"no, (y/n). stop. calm down. it's not like that." schlatt shook her shoulders and let go, getting her eyes to finally make contact with his. "i like you, (y/n), a lot, but..so does travis."

she let her mouth slowly hang open once more, her heart dreading hearing those words, as a physical pain set upon her chest. she felt sick, yet sobered, and it seemed like nothing could make her feel at peace.

"i just can't do this to him, y'know? just..not yet," schlatt bit his lip and looked down, but gave her a faint, small smile at the end. she forced one out back and nodded, and swiftly slipped away from his presence within a blink of an eye.

////

it's been at least two hours since travis had run to the bathroom. not long after, he heard a knock.

he unlocked the door after heaving and standing from his spot on the floor, and faced a pale noah with a glass of water in his hand.

"thought you might need this," noah slurred and handed the boy the drink. travis nodded and chugged it all down, placing it on the sink counter beside him.

they stayed still for a few moments, before noah welcomed himself inside and shut the door, but not all the way. he plopped down onto the edge of the bathtub, his eyelids low and weighted, and clasped his hands together.

"i just wanted to say-"

"i saw." travis stated, his tone cold.

noah smacked his lips and nodded, sighing, and turning his head down to avert eye contact, slowly nodding.

"he pushed her away, you know."

silence.

"i just wanted to tell you that."

he knew. they all knew.

"i'm just watching out for you, bro."

with noah's third sentence, travis pressed his lips together and scowled, infuriated with the situation - with her, with himself. he swung open the door, the wood flinging much quicker and harsher than he expected, and with a hostile, speedy pace he went down the stairs, opened the front door, and walked out.

heavy raindrops fell on travis' head. that was the least of his problems. he didn't care anymore. he didn't give a fuck.

the boy walked for miles, at least an hour and a half, down the middle of the moonlit roads, and soon enough, he spotted his house. the lights were off, just like he liked it.