p r o l o g u e

Beads of sweat ran down her head as she kept running

Beads of sweat ran down her head as she kept running. Her dirtied shawl rested on her heated head, pulled over her just to cover the upper areas of her face, the rest hung around her neck, hugging her skin.

The ground beneath her crushed every time she'd take a step. She grew more claustrophobic every time the walls she ran by grew closer at some corners she turned to. Her legs were so close to giving up. But she couldn't. She looked over her shoulder, the sun glared at her and she was blinded for a few seconds. She sucked in a sharp breath and furrowed her eyebrows together once regaining her sight.

They were still there.

She gulped, quickly reattaching the straps of her bag, and pushed it up till it rested on her shoulders. She picked up a faster pace and took a swift turn once she reached a two way, in hopes to lose those who were tailing her. She turned her head to wherever she was going, a small rush of relief gracing her tensed self. A road that ran down the center of a small busy village, the entrance being blocked by a tall gate.

She paused her steps and grabbed a wooden block that was poking out, one of the ones nailed to the rest of the wooden wall, and pulled herself up. Scraping her thinly clothed knee in the process, it brought a pained expression to the small girl's face, but she brushed it off, continuing to get up and stand on the one-meter thick wall.

It creaked more the longer she ran on it. She came to a halt once she reached the end of the wall. Her eyes drifted on the ground beneath her, the height that separated her and the ground below her was not more than thirteen feet. Ahead of that was the roof of a small house that was within the village.

Once again looking behind her, the men still trailed after her on their white stallions, armored men with hints of dirty white on the clothes that rested beneath the metal armor. The metal reflecting the sun's sharp gaze.

She huffed, her messy black fringes moving as a warm breeze passed.
Walking a few steps back, being careful where she stepped on, not wanting to fall off.

Gathering the courage, she exhaled, the soul of her shoes scraping the polished wooden floor. She ran full speed, and leaped off the edge, feeling the warm breeze envelope her.

The breeze carried her, making her feel lighter as her body was flying in the air.

She closed her eyes tightly and readied herself for the harsh impact that would greet her as soon as she lands. Though what welcomed her instead was the roof's surface slowly burning her skin as she laid there on her side with her arms supporting her up.

She huffed in relief, a smile gracing her tired features, though it was covered with the shawl that hugged her head. She looked behind her while panting, desperate for air to engulf her like what had previously happened.

Her sweat had captured the dust that she had met while running, feeling like she was surrounded by a humid atmosphere. But paid no mind to that.

She looked over back at the gates, keeping her head and body low not wanting to get caught once again. She relaxed once she found the figures turning back, knowing that they couldn't enter the village, at least, not today.