c h . 1

"So you're staying?" Jiro questioned softly

He stood right outside the entrance of his mother's house, facing the now empty streets of the village as the sun sets behind the roofs. It was hot no longer, the warmth of the sun
dipped, now replaced with the coolness of the new night.

She huffed, her breath could be seen when she exhaled. She hugged her arms together as a cool breeze whispered into the night. Her hair loosened and flowed with the direction of the wind, strands managing to glaze over her face, her moonlit figure standing out against the dim night.

She shrugged, "Only for a while, that's how it is all the time anyway."

She took slow and quiet steps towards the boy. She couldn't help but admire the night being at peace and filled with a calming silence.

It's something she couldn't have often, especially when you're being constantly chased wherever you'd go, no matter where you hid. It was exhausting, going back and forth places. She knows she's being selfish in a way, but she'd never admitted that.

"So you're going back? Out there?" Jiro turned to Dohui, looking perplexed at the girl's response.

"You heard me the first time right? Or are you deaf?"

"They're not your responsibility Dohui."

"It's my choice what my responsibility is, what I have to do."

"But you don't have to. You really love the empress so much, you even try to protect her people." He scoffed, disappointingly gazing at the girl. The atmosphere grew colder than ever.

"It's not the empress you damned rat." Dohui snarled and sent the boy a sharp glare, the shadow that covered her eyes added a more infuriating aura. "Don't associate me with that disgusting creature." She spat, toxin hinted in her voice.

"Whatever, snake." Jiro rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, turning the other way.

A moment of silence took over, nobody dared to speak up. Both immersed in their own thoughts. Dohui still felt irritated after the interaction. She's always been like this ever since she's 'ran away', an attitude of being defensive stuck to her.

Trying to convince herself that she could fix things, but no one believed in her.

Was it because she kept running away? Because she was an outcast trying to get back in the sea of people she used to be a part of?

Dohui felt a sharp pain hit her chest at the thought. Heat rose up her face, and her previously angered expression faltered. A solemn expression washing over her tired figure, she heaved a long sigh.

Jiro took notice of the girl's demeanor, his irritated expression softened. He took slow and careful steps towards her, not wanting to startle her. He wrapped his arms around her smaller figure and sighed.