You Wound Me, Little Man

TW: Cursing, brief mentions of death, brief mentions of toxic relationships and abuse

Janus had helped Virgil sit on the couch as Patton got them all a cup of punch. "Wh-what is wr-ong with that guy?? One minute he's looking at me like I just created Hamilton and the next he's running away before I can even get a fucking word in!" He pushed away the cup he was offered.

Patton pouted a bit, but Janus shoved it back in his face. "Drink the punch, Virgil. Get your damn head back on your shoulderss."

"I'm fine, Janus."

"No, you aren't. Missssy'ss doing that thing sshe doess when you're really upsset. Pleassse. Don't be dumb."

Upon hearing the almost pleading tone in his prideful friend's voice, Virgil sighed, taking the cup from Patton. "Thanks, Pat..." he mumbled, calming down a bit when he saw the other gleam. "What would I do without you two?"

"Die. Probably." Janus shrugged, causing Virgil to chuckle.

"True true... I just... He's confusing, y'know? And the first real guy I've ever liked like that."

"I know, kiddo. But you gotta cut him some slack. Maybe you're coming on a bit strong."

"How? I never come on strong."

"Maybe not to people in the passt. But Ro'ss... he'ss had a rough time with guysss, you know that. And-"

"Wait, what?" Virgil looked up. "What do you mean?"

Patton and Janus looked at him, then shared a glance with each other. "Well... he moved here a few yearss ago," the latter started. "And... the firsst year and a half people- or, guyss, ssspecifically- were really heartlesss to him. During jusst that time, do you know how many guysss ussed him like he was ssome kinda tool?"

Virgil shook his head.

"Thirty-nine," Patton told him. "That's... about two a month... That many jerkfaces hurting him and dating him for the wrong reasons and none of them ever really caring about him... that has to do stuff to a person.

Janus nodded and continued, "The only reasson it really stopped is because 'Muss heard rumorss around sschool and went to make sure everything wass okay... And he looked all around for Ro but he finally found him around the back of the sschool and hiss boyfriend at the time wass about to..."

They all fell silent for a moment, before Patton picked back up where his cousin had left off. "A-and... well... their foster parents found out because of the bruises across Roman's arms and cheek, and they took him to this therapist. And he... he hasn't let anymore of those guys use him again, but he's still broken.. I can tell that much."

Virgil was leaning his head against Missy, who kept purring to try and calm him down. "... Jan... you wanna be a lawyer, right?"

"Huh? Yeah. Why?" The other looked at his friend in confusion.

"Best way to get away with murdering thirty-nine people? Also how do I help him? It's not fair. Someone that great should never..."

"That'ss life..." Janus looked down again. "... But I can write up that report on how to get away with it tonight. I'll send it to you over email."

"As for the second bit!" Patton chirped, looking over at the table. "Guess who left their homework that's due tomorrow?"

Virgil looked up at him. "He did not-"

"Mhm! So... I know where we can start."

"... This is the place?"

"Yep!"

"I absssolutely love it."

In front of them sat a very large Spanish villa, with red tile roofing and pale adobe walls. The large, open windows overlooked the colorful garden in front of them, and it was obvious the back was more extravagant than the front.

Janus was studying the house with an awe-struck expression when the noise started up.

"Mamá, dile a Esme y Naeva que me dejen en paz! ¡Estoy tratando de trabajar en ese periódico para la universidad!" (Mama, tell Esme and Naeva to leave me alone! I'm trying to work on that paper for college!)

"Papá!! ¡Haz que Ambrosio deje de burlarse de mí!" (Papa!! Get Ambrosio to stop teasing me!)

"Bueno, papá estará de acuerdo en que Kaeda estar enamorada de mi mejor amigo es sólo la cosa más cliché de la historia y-"( Well, Papa will agree that Kaeda having a crush on my best friend is just the MOST cliche thing ever and-)

"¡Romano! ¿Me prestas esa falda roja tuya?" (Roman! Can I borrow that red skirt of yours?)

"¡Esperar! ¿Es el auto de la familia Thorn?" (Wait! Is that the Thorn family car?)

"OOH- WHAT-"

"¡Quiero ver!" (I want to see!)

"CAR?!"

A mismatched array of children and teens scurried to the large windows on either side of the door, pushing at each other to see outside. Their front door was thrown open to let the sweet air inside, and most of the windows were raised. Finally, two familiar faces pushed past the figures to the door, stumbling outside.

Roman and Remus rushed down the main path, to the end of their yard, and across the sidewalk. The smaller of the twins walked around to Virgil's window and knocked on it, watching as it rolled down to reveal a smirking Thorn. "Yes, Princey?"

"What are you doing here?" he hissed. "You can't just show up to my house unannounced, Creepo!"

"Ouch. You wound me, little man." Virgil put a hand to his heart before continuing, "You left your homework. It's due tomorrow. I decided I would be nice and bring it back to you. Y'know, unlike you with my shirt."

Roman blushed and folded his arms across the large band tee, which he was still wearing, despite having changed the pants out for a pair of red shorts. "Shuddup."

"Oh, I don't know if I will." He reached back and Patton handed him a packet of papers, with Roman's name scribbled at the top. Roman reached out for it, but Virgil held it away from him. "One moment. I was wondering-"

"Virgil Thorn, I know you have absolutely no sense of being a kind person so you want something from me, but not here. Not now. My family is right there and I promise you that if my mom comes out here and sees you guys, she'll call Father and you won't like what happens next. Just give me my paper and I'll make it up to you later. Please." Roman's voice was practically begging as he looked at the other with wide eyes.

"I was just gonna ask what type of pen you used. Calm down. It's okay." Virgil handed him the papers and frowned. "No need to make anything up to me, man. We can go now if you want us to."

"Please, Papi will be out from his study any minute and-"

A loud squeal was heard from the house and the twins tensed, mumbling in unison, "Ay, dios mio." (Oh god...)

1159