8. More Than Cutting It Close

Artful's POV

I sat in my bed, struggling to sleep. Eventually, I gave up and sat straight up, wondering what to do. I read a bit more of my book from Dynamic, before getting bored again. I teleported inside of Aesthetic's residence and knocked on his bedroom door. He got up and slightly cracked the door. Upon seeing me, he opened the door fully.

"Hey, how did you get in? And why? It is late at night."

"First of all, I teleported. You seem to have forgotten my skills. Second, I can't sleep, and I'm bored. Third, want to roam the city?"

"Yes! But how? We can't go out without being recognized."

I quickly shapeshifter into my Night form and a look of realization crossed over Aesthetic's face. 

"Give me about ten minutes," he said.

After the door closed, I changed into my Night uniform. I then sat outside his door, twirling my long black hair. I heard the door open and turned around. 

"Ready to go?"

Aesthetic asked as he helped me up.

"Yeah!"

We practically skipped out, but made sure we didn't get spotted. We walked down the streets, hiding from the lights provided by the street lamps. We kept under the cover of the shadows, until we recognized another Night. 

Frivolous?

We stepped out of the shadows to try and aid a bleeding Frivolous as he laid on the hard concrete. I helped Aesthetic pull him up onto his back and we were about to try and find another Night when we heard the sound of two guns loading. I turned slowly to see a bright yellow operative and a navy operative. I glanced at Aesthetic and he gave me a concerned look.

"I have never seen you these two nights before. Have you, Practical?"

"No, I have not, Dreadful. The most practical answer is that they are new."

I searched my holster for my gun, but the operative named Dreadful noticed and shot at my hand. He missed, as I quickly pulled back.

"Don't try anything," he said, "we are bringing you to the Supreme Leader."

They turned around and I pulled out my gun, shooting both operatives in one leg. I gestured to Aesthetic and we ran into and alley. We didn't stop and we could hear the operatives yelling for backup. We heard a voice behind us which made us freeze.

"Aesthetic? Artful? What are you doing?"

I recognized the voice as immediately.

"Otherworldly," I hissed, "take Frivolous. He is injured."

He nodded and Aesthetic handed Frivolous over. We heard other voices getting closer and Otherworldly teleported away. Aesthetic grabbed my hand and we ran through the shadows before appearing somewhere else in the city. We sighed, but our relief was short lived. We felt a dark aura appear behind us. Aesthetic looked behind while I looked straight ahead. In front of me was an operative dressed in all white, he seemed to be crying, but I couldn't tell because of his mask. Behind me, there was an operative with a red uniform and a long, black overcoat. His hat covered his head and he have off an aura that was both dark and powerful. Both Aesthetic and I knew we could not run, as we would both be shot down.

"Do not move. You will be shot immediately." A chilling voice escaped from underneath the red operative's hat.

We have nowhere to run.