11. A Violent Rescue

Emotionless's POV

The Night prisoners were thrown into the nearest cell before we ran back up to the surface. The sight should have been horrifying, but I only strategized. The gunfight was surprisingly violent, so I figured at least one if it both of our prisoners were very important. 

All of the other operatives are already occupied with their opponents. Except me.

After a moment of scanning the scene, I realized a Night was missing. 

Where is Dauntless?

The sound of running alerted me as I turned my head. I pulled out my gun and shot at Dauntless as he ran towards the entrance of the Facility. He dodged it and took out his gun. The sound of bullets filled the air as the two sides continued to fight.

Artful's POV

The sound of bullets and footsteps rung out above our heads. Seeing that there was no key in sight, I immediately went to thinking about how we could get out of this wretched cell.

Aesthetic looked down at the floor, seeming hopeful.

I scratched my head and felt something metal and removed it. A black hairpin. 

That seems oddly convenient. When did I put that in?

I smiled mischievously as a devised a plan. I looked down at my Night uniform.

Thanks, Horrid!

Flashback

"Welcome to my office, Artful. Do you know why you are here?"

"No?"

Horrid gave a small grin.

"You are getting your uniform today."

"Really? Thank you!"

"Don't be thanking me. Thank Pleasant. He made all of our uniforms."

I turned to my friend and co-worker and he smiled as I thanked him.

"Your uniform was especially difficult," he said.

When I gave him a confused glance, he turned to Horrid to explain.

"Well, Artful, your uniform is designed to change when you shape shift so it always fits. It was very difficult and took Pleasant 2 weeks to make, unlike the rest of us."

End of Flashback

I guess this is a perk of being 'special'. A special uniform.

I turned to Aesthetic.

"I have a plan."

Unpredictable's POV

Since I didn't see Emotionless rush out as fast as the rest of us, I turned to see where he was. He shot down Dauntless and I turned back just in time to dodge a bullet sent by Forseeable. Just when I was about to take him down, a bullet from the side sent him collapsing. Emotionless ran over and grabbed me by the shoulder.

"Get back down in the Facility."

"Why? There are still plenty of Nights to take down."

"It is odd that every Night came to rescue them. Something must be special about them. Go down and guard their cell."

"I guess I can do that."

As I sprinted down the stairs, I blamed myself.

Why did I even accept that stupid application. I could just turned it down. But no! I was too curious as to why the system said 'unknown'. Well, Unpredictable, you found out. They're Nights.

I skidded to a stop in front of the now-empty cell.

"Where did they go?"

After a minute of investigating, I realized there was a small cursive 'L' engraved into the lock. I looked down at it. I could nearly feel the smugness radiating from it. I sighed and picked up my communicator.

"They're gone."

Aesthetic's POV

Artful and I ran through the labyrinth of hallways. Her plan had worked. She shrunk small enough so she could fit through the bars and picked the lock. It seemed cliche, but at least it worked. Just to rub it in though, I took her hairpin and engraved '𝓛 '. Eventually, we reached an exit and ran through. We appeared on our side of the fight and upon entering, Artful ran at Dynamic and shot him down.

"Sorry that I didn't have the time to return my book!"

I snickered a bit at that line but quickly recovered to save Pleasant from Dreadful. Realizing that Artful and I had successfully escaped, Horrid called out to his operatives and we disappeared into the shadows, leaving the Days tense and on guard.

A/N: I made a playlist where each song reminds me of/represents a member of the Days Union. The songs listed below are the ones in the playlist as of July 13, but it might change if I were to find a better one for a certain operative.

Great - Blood // Water (grandson)

Scary - Sarcasm (Get Scared)

Unpredictable - Yes & No (XYLØ)

Dreadful - Rock Bottom (grandson)

Emotionless -  Numb (LINKIN PARK)

Placid - Lone Digger (Caravan Palace) 

Unstable - Windrag (Jack Stauber)

Practical - Social Climb (IDKHBTFM)

Dynamic -  Tranz (Gorillaz)

Benevolent - Voracity (AmaLee) [or at least AmaLee's version]

Radiant - Baby Hotline (Jack Stauber)

Macabre - Bury Me Low (8 Graves)

Sorrowful - Oh Klahoma (Jack Stauber)