One

The Chang family's annual Christmas party was in full swing that year

The Chang family's annual Christmas party was in full swing that year. Guests mingled around the house, chatting and exchanging presents after the large feast had finished. Music roared and people danced - it was the happiest time of the year.

Liv sat snuggled up to her older sister on the sofa, watching as she opened a present from their grandmother. The box was neatly wrapped, an intricate bow sitting atop it. She wondered how the woman managed to tie it with such shaky hands.

Orla Chang was an unpleasant woman, her joints the only thing tougher than her personality. She was a Ravenclaw, an intellectual, taking pride in perfection and wit. Something one of her granddaughters was known for, and the other lacked.

Cho carefully untied the bow, opening the box to reveal a silken turquoise dress. "Oh, Grandma!" She gasped. "It's beautiful!"

"Only the best for my granddaughter." The woman smiled. "I saw it during my trip to Paris and immediately thought of you."

"Thank you." Cho smiled, standing up to give the woman a small hug. "Where's Liv's gift?"

"Oh." Her eyes trailed around the room, almost as if she'd forgotten to get one. "There it is." She used her knobbly cane to point to a package stuffed roughly under the tree. Liv bent down to pull it out, noticing the same beautiful wrapping paper as her sister's, though wrapped with much less care.

She sat back down on the sofa, not caring to savour the paper the same way Cho had. She opened the box, pulling out a bright yellow and black scarf from within. "A scarf?" She asked.

"It's your house - Hufflepuff. Figured you'd be cold considering the bad weather we've been having lately." Orla explained.

"Thank you, Grandma, but I'm not a Hufflepuff. I'm a Gryffindor." Liv replied nervously.

"Gryffindor?" Orla raised her voice, checking to make sure she heard the girl correctly. "I could've sworn you were a Hufflepuff. Brave and courageous? Doesn't really suit a softy like you." The woman's face turned almost into a sneer, commenting on the girl's rather limpid character. The woman than left her seat and headed to the kitchen, Cho hearing a sigh of relief from beside her.

-

"Come in." Liv called after hearing a knock from her bedroom door. Cho peeped in cautiously, noting her sister curled up beneath the covers. She went over and stood at the edge of the bed, looking over at the girl.

"Why aren't you asleep? It's almost midnight." Liv questioned, throwing open the covers to allow for her sister to snuggle in.

"I could ask you the same thing, you're the younger one here." Cho teased, poking the girl on the nose. She reached into the pocket of her hoodie and retrieved a small package, handing it to her sister.

"What's this?" Liv asked, carefully scanning the exterior.

"I know it's still Christmas eve, but I wanted to give you your present early." She smiled, watching as the younger girl unwrapped the gift. With gentle fingers, she removed a small white box, opening it reveal a dainty pair of pearl earrings.

"Cho!" Liv gasped. "These are beautiful! But they must have cost a fortune."

"Oh, don't you worry about the cost." Cho dismissed the notion with a wave of her hand. "They're the matching pair to the one from your favourite painting." She looked to the other side of the room where a painting hung - a copy of "Girl with a Pearl Earring" Liv had received as a gift when she was younger.

"Thank you so much." Liv sniffled, wiping away the tears that threatened to fall. "I got you a gift too, but it's under the tree right now. It's definitely not as impressive as this." She held up the earrings to her lamp, mesmerized as the light seemed to dance across them.

"As long as you enjoy my present and wear them as much as you can, I'll be happy." She smiled. Liv pulled Cho in for a tight hug, savouring the warmth she'd grown to find a comfort.

"Merry Christmas, Sis."

"Merry Christmas, Liv."