THREE

"What year was Ollivanders founded?"

"382 BC."

"Name three members of the Ollivander family."

"Garrick, Geraint, and Gerbold."

"What does the Phoenix feather core represent?"

"Renewal of life."

Daphne threw her flash cards down, scattering them across the rest of her supplies. "I give up, she can't be stumped." The girl sighed.

Cho laughed, straightening out the mess. "I don't know why you keep trying this, Nene. Liv studies more than anyone I've ever seen."

"You can never be too prepared. You guys said the final exam for history is near impossible." Liv replied meekly, taking the cards from her sister.

"Yeah, but with how much time you've spent on this, I wouldn't be surprised if you finished it and wrote a new one." Daphne closed her book roughly, resting her chin in her hand. "I'm bored of this, let's talk about something else. Anyone been on a date recently?"

"Yep. Oscar took me to this beautiful spot by the lake the other day." Avery piped up, a dreamy look in her eyes as she recalled the date.

"I don't mean you, Av. We all know about your four year long boyfriend." Daphne rolled her eyes, jokingly throwing a piece of wadded up paper at the girl.

"Well, we're not official yet. We've just been on a couple dates." She replied shyly, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear.

"Oh, come on! Just snog already!" Daphne yelled, only to be promptly told off the Madame Pince. She said a quick sorry before turning to Liv. "How about you, Short-Stack. Got any cute boys lined up?"

"I'm not really into dating. I'd prefer to spend my time at school learning." She finished, only to hear Cho let out a laugh from the other side of the table.

"That's a lie and you know it." She whispered, trying her best to hold back her laughter.

Daphne finally seemed intruiged. "Does our little Liv here have a boyfriend?" She said tauntingly, poking the girl in the ribs. Liv shied away, not responding.

"Come on, sis. You think I wouldn't know about your crush on Dean Thomas? You really need to hide your journal better." A chorus of teases was heard from the table, the girls finding their young companion's crush adorable.

Liv didn't meet their eyes, instead fiddling with the hem of her skirt. "It's not as if anything could ever happen between us, he has a girlfriend - or had one. Besides, there's more to life than having a boyfriend."

"Of course, Liv." Avery replied, holding the girl's hand. "But it's still nice to have someone you know you can count on. And it's fun to tease you." She added in the last part quickly, sticking her tongue out at the embarrassed girl, earning a high-five from Daphne.

Cho smacked them both on the arm. "Calm down, don't tease the poor girl on her birthday."

"Oh, right!" Avery's eyes brightened as she reached down to pull something from her bag. She came up with a container, opening it to reveal two cupcakes with red icing. "Cho made these for you, she asked me to grab them from the kitchens when I left my dorm." Liv excitedly took them from the container, marvelling at how beautifully they were decorated.

"I know they're not as exciting as your Christmas gift, but I splurged on the earrings and didn't have enough for your birthday." Cho seemed truly upset at her gift, a hint of red rising to her ears.

"Cho, I'll love any present you give me." She tucked her hair behind her ear. "And look, I'm still wearing the earrings, as I promised."

Daphne butted in. "Alright, alright, enough sentiment. I need more gossip and I need it now."