FOUR

It was almost curfew when Liv returned from the library, bag full of books and head full of knowledge

It was almost curfew when Liv returned from the library, bag full of books and head full of knowledge. She was in a much better mood than earlier, smiling down at the cupcakes her sister had made.

She wandered down a random corridor, wanting to savour as much alone time as she could. She was humming to herself, but after rounding a corner, she stopped.

Dean sat on the steps up to one of the towers, head in his hands and looking quite dejected. Liv attempted to run away, but paused when he looked up to notice her standing there.

"Um..." She began, clueless as to what to say. "Are you alright?"

Dean sighed, dropping his head back down. "Yeah, I'm good. Just a little frustrated."

Liv took a few steps closer, making her way to stand next to the boy. "I saw what happened with Ginny earlier. I'm sorry, you two seemed like a nice couple."

Dean sent the girl a small smile. "You don't have to apologize, it's not your fault."

There was an award silence after that, neither Gryffindor knowing what to say. Looking down at the cakes in her hand, she extended one out. "Did you want a cupcake? It's vanilla."

Dean took the cake with a thanks, motioning for her to sit next to him. She obliged, unwrapping her own. He looked down at the cupcake, noticing it read "Happy Birthday!" in tiny letters.

He looked back up. "Was it your birthday today?"

"Yeah." She replied, taking another bite. "My sister made these for me as a present."

He quickly handed the cupcake back to her, cheeks flushed. "I'm sorry, I wouldn't have taken it if I knew it was your birthday present."

Liv gave a light laugh, placing the cake back in his hand. "No worries, I don't like vanilla anyways. But don't tell my sister that, she'd feel bad and make me a whole batch of chocolate." The two laughed, continuing to enjoy their cupcakes in peace. Dean looked over a the girl, scanning her features with interest.

"You're Liv, right?" He asked. "And your sister is Cho Chang?"

"Yep, the one and only." She smiled at the boy, folding the wrapper into a neat square.

"I'm Dean Thomas, we're in the same year." He took the wrapper from her hand, rolling it into a ball along with his own and shoving them in his pocket.

"I know-" She stopped quickly. "I mean, I see you around a lot, and we are in the same year and house." Liv rambled on, noticing the amused look her was giving her. "I promise I'm not a stalker."

Dean laughed loudly, giving her hair a friendly ruffle. "I know."

Feeling embarrassed, she bolted up, her cheeks flushed a bright red. "I should go now. Curfew will be soon." She ran off quickly, struggling to get her bag back onto her shoulders.

Dean watched her go, a smile still lingering on his face. "Hm, nice girl." He stood up as well, but stopped when he saw something glittering out of the corner of his eye. He looked down to see a delicate pearl earring, illuminated by the moonlight. "Is that hers?" Reaching down to pick it up, he scanned the accessory for a moment before pocketing it, making sure it was safe inside of his hoodie.