6

Chapter six

Alaska's lips tasted like mint and piña colada Chapstick. She pulled on my shirt, bringing my body as close to hers as she could. Every time we kiss it felt so right, like her and I were destined to be together. I missed her lips. I missed her body pressed against mine. I miss us.

"I missed you so fucking much sunshine," I said between the kissed. "Don't leave me again."

"Shut up," she pulled away and gasped from breath. "and kiss me."

Before our lips could connect again, Alice walked into the room wearing a towel on her body. She was brushing her long brown hair and wearing bunny slippers.

"Luke?" She questioned. "Who are you talking to?"

I looked to where Alaska was sitting on the couch. She was gone.

"No one," I answered. "It was just the TV."

"Alright, just checking in." She went back into the bathroom.

I began flipping through the television channels again, not searching for anything really. My mind was somewhere else. I wasn't in the mood to do anything besides sit and stare into space.

Alaska wasn't really here. She died, it's impossible for her to come back to life. I was just picture her, that's all. I miss her too much, that's all. I want her to be with me so much that I'm picturing her. It's only a hallucination. Only a hallucination.

"Luke?" Alice spoke, sitting down next to me on the couch. "You're crying."

I touched my cheek and I was in fact crying.

"It's nothing," I said. "there's just something in my eye. Allergies are bad this year, yeah."

She frowned at me and scooted closer, taking the remote from my hand and changing to channel to some movie. Alice draped a blanket over us. Her body was warm against mine and she calmed me down a little bit by rubbing circles into my leg.

"Alice?" I asked, breaking the silence between us.

"Mmm?" She said, not looking away from the television.

"Will it ever get better?"

Alice was silent for a while. She was quiet for such a long time that I didn't think she was going to reply to me.

"Of course," she said, finally breaking her focus on the television and making complete eye contact with me. "Isn't that how life works, right? I mean, sometimes it's wicked shitty but then again wicked good days are inevitable. It's like the universe can't just give everyone amazing days all the time. There needs to be a balance between the good and the bad, sort of like a yin and yang. That's how life is, a mix, and to say you'll never have a good day or a good week or even a good month is crazy because it's bound to happen because that's the universe."

"Thank you," I whispered, resting my head on Alice's shoulder. She stroked my hair, twirling the longer strands with her fingers.

"No problem, Luke," it was silent for a while until she opened her mouth to speak again. "You know what?" Before I could reply, she continued. "Tomorrow, we're going to have an amazing day."

"Are we?" I inquired, smiling a little.

"Yes, we are," Alice told me. "Tomorrow is the first official day of winter and we are going to celebrate."

"I don't know, Alice," I said. "I'd rather sit on the couch all day crying over Alaska and eating Cheetos."

Alice laughed and nudged my arm slightly. "I know you loved her, but you're in Boston now! This is a new start for you! You should take this opportunity and really use it."

I smiled. "You're pretty amazing, you know that?"

Alice smirked and tucked her hair behind her ear. "Oh, I know."

"And I really appreciate everything you're doing for me." I continued.

"I know."

"And even though we've just met I think we're going to be amazing friends."

"I know, Luke," she flashed me a smile. "now go to sleep. Tomorrow is another day."

With that, she got up off the couch and disappeared into her bedroom, leaving me in a dark room in front of a glowing television I wasn't watching.

The clock under the TV said 11:36. It was later than I thought it was, so I decided it was time for me to call it a day and get some rest.

Today has been a busy day after all. I haven't even been in this city for twenty four hours and I've already gotten lost, frozen to death, made a friend who's nice enough to let me stay with them, and talked to my dead ex girlfriends parents. Seems pretty busy, if I do say so myself.

"I've been dead not even a week and you've already moved on?" The familiar voice scoffed. " I thought you loved me more than that."

I turned my head towards Alaska. She was sitting on the bar stool in the kitchen, but as soon as I turned my attention towards her she got up and sat on the couch beside me.

"You're not real," I told her. "You died, Alaska. I'm not going to let you ruin my life like the voices in your head ruined yours."

"Don't be ridiculous, Luke. I'm just coming to say hey." She moved closer to me on the couch and took my hand in hers. "Hey."

"Hey," I replied.

"I miss you, a lot."

"You can't miss me if you keep coming to see me," I told her. "It's like you never left."

"Fuck, Luke," she let go of my hand and moved away. "You're not happy to see me?"

I turned away from her and laid down on the couch, covering my body with the soft blanket. "Goodnight, Alaska."

"Goodnight, Luke," Alaska sighed and I felt her get off of the couch. "I love you."

•••

A/N: this was kinda a shitty chapter sorry I haven't updated in a while. I hope you had an amazing holiday and an amazing Christmas if you celebrate that!

Happy New Years!!!

Love,

Sam