10

Chapter ten

"She said that I like, basically have the job but she just needs to have the boss call me, or whatever." I trailed off, getting distracted by the chopsticks in my hands that I had no clue how to use.

Alice and I were sitting criss crossed on the couch across from one another eating Chinese food out of the carton. We were in our pajamas watching Elf, cuddled in the same blanket.

"That's wicked amazing, Luke!" She cheered. "We could like, get a bigger house in a few months so you can have a room. I mean, if you want to live together. If not like, we can live separately because you know, I'm totally okay with that because it's not like we're dating and I mean, even if we were dating we could break up and that'd be super awkward to like, live with your ex boyfriend, so..."

I laughed. "You're cute when you ramble."

She blushed and shoved some noodles into her mouth. "You're cute when you breath."

I shook my head and pushed my chinese food around. "We're losers," I said.

"Yeah," Alice agreed. "We are."

"Let's do something then. Can we like, make some cookies or something? Because yano, santa is coming tonight and we haven't even baked for him."

Alice smiled and put her carton of noodles down. She picked up her phone, looked at it, and then put it back in her pocket. "It's 10:07," She said, slipping into her pig slippers and grabbing her black North Face. "We need to go to WalMart and get some baking stuff."

"You're going to wear that?" I questioned, examining her appearance. She was wearing her glasses and her hair in a high, messy bun, and a makeupless face. Her outfit consisted of snowmen pajama pants, pig slippers, and her North Face that covered up just a plain tee.

She shrugged. "Are you dressing like that?"

I looked down at myself and was also wearing my pajamas. "I can change quick. People will look at us funny."

She chuckled a little. "Lukey, it's WalMart," and then she grabbed her car keys and my hand and pulled me out the door, locking it behind her.

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah, I go like this all the time, it's not a big deal." We walked down the stairs and into the cold air. The stars were out and the moon was waxing, and the way the city lit up and the way the moon cascaded light onto the world was breathtaking. How the snow covered everything and looked like a billion small diamonds, sparkling in the light, and the sirens and horns blaring, it was all so beautiful.

We got into her car and drove away, Nirvana's Nevermind album lightly playing in the background. "I guess I missed out on the part of my childhood in which I go out at ten at night dressed in my pajamas."

"It's a key part to childhood, it really is," she smiled and tapped her thumbs against the wheel to the beat of the song.

We arrived at WalMart a few minutes later. The store wasn't empty, but there were a few people here and there grabbing some things. Nobody seemed to acknowledge us, or Alice's pig slippers, which was a relief.

We went to the baking aisle and grabbed a few packs of sugar cookie mix, frosting, and some jimmies, as Alice would call them. We proceeded to check out and Alice paid. I told her I could pay next time. She said good and that I better.

The ride home was as silent as the ride there. Driving back from a place always seems quicker than getting there, or I think.

It was 11:30 when we got back to Alice's apartment. She took all the things out of the bag and placed them on the counter, grabbing a large bowl front the cupboard and placed it on the counter.

"Read the ingredients," she told me, and I did.

She grabbed eggs, vegetable oil, flour, and water and placed them on the counter next to the bowl, which resulted into the eggs rolling off the counter and landing onto the floor.

"They roll," I teased.

She hit me and started laughing. "It's too late for this."

"It's never too late for anything, Alice."

She hit me again.

We baked the cookies, surprisingly not making too large of a mess, and danced around to Christmas music while doing so.

"You," I said, taking some frosting on my finger and dabbing it on Alice's nose, "are cool."

"You," she said, doing the same and poking my cheek, "are cool as well."

We laughed and danced while the cookied were baking, checking them in the oven ever few minutes to see how they were doing.

"May I have this dance, m'lady?" I bowed and extended my arm for her to take.

"You may, my good sir," she took my hand and we danced around together, my hands on her waste and her hands and head resting on my chest. We stayed like that for a moment in complete silence, but it was comfortable. In that moment, we were the only two people in the world and everything else that was going on just stopped completely. It was nice, it was beautiful, and I couldn't help myself from smiling.

"I'm really glad I'm here with you, Alice," I told her, breaking the silence that was between us.

She looked up at me. Her large brown eyes sparkled under the dim kitchen light and her cheeks were brushed with flour from baking and though her hair was simply thrown into a bun on the top of her head and loose strands of hair were sticking out, she looked beautiful. "I'm glad you're here too, Luke." she smiled. I smiled too.

Everything continued to remain on pause while we stood there tangled in each others arms and gazed into each others eyes. The moment was perfect, and I found myself leaning down.

Alice stood on her tiptoes, her cheeks becoming more blushed then they already were. We were so close and even when our lips connected, it wasn't close enough. Her lips tasted like cookie dough and frosting and her lips were smooth against my chapped ones. Our lips fit together perfectly, like two puzzle pieces, and they battled against one another.

I moved my hands from her waist lifted her onto the counter and moved my hands to her cheek. She played with my hair, tangling her fingers with my strands while simultaneously our tongues danced. Never before have I kissed with such passion, not even with Alaska.

The kitchen timer rang and Alice pulled away from me. "Cookies are done," she licked her lips and hopped off the counter and pulled the cookies out.

I smiled and bit my lip, sucking in my ring as I always do when I'm bored. My eyes scanned the room while I waited and set on Alaska in the corner.

Tears were flowing from her dark eyes like a river. She stared at me, never breaking eye contact, and I swear I heard her heart shatter and fall onto the floor.

I blinked and she was gone.

A/N: i'm trying to finish this book and I could finish it in like, one to two chapters, if thats oook??? I don't want it to drag for too long, even though I LOVE writing it, but I have an amazing idea for the ending and I'm really excited :)))

luke and alice r goals

do u like them together?? or do you prefere luke and alaska???

dont forget to comment!!!

luh ya,

sam