𝐢𝐢. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐮𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐩𝐡𝐨𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐱

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐: 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐔𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐏𝐇𝐎𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐗

❝𝐀 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐀 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄❞

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

     Under normal circumstances, Zuko's relief for being able to sleep under a proper roof would have probably lasted him several nights of peace, but today, this was not the case. Indeed, it did not take Iroh too long to notice that Zuko was a little more than the usual slightly restless. Iroh had an idea as to why, but he did not wish to entertain it for it seemed too much like a double-edged sword. It would either help Zuko or devastate him.

     "What's on your mind. nephew?"

     "Nothing." Zuko replied, "Let's just...Get to that stupid circus you wanted to go to."

     And Zuko said nothing substantial, but Iroh knew. He's spent far too much time with his nephew these past few years to learn to detect when Zuko was being dramatic and when he was truly upset. And Zuko was often very dramatic as Iroh would attest. In this instant, he could tell it was the latter though.

      "You know, nephew, there's an old saying that I know of. I think about it a lot these days." Iroh paused and pondered, "We sometimes think that holding on makes us strong people. And it does, but sometimes, being strong also means letting go and moving forward. It's something interesting to think about, considering we're starting this new life here. Don't you think?"

     Zuko said nothing, opened the door for his uncle and walked onward toward the Duchess Phoenix circus. It wasn't that Zuko couldn't hear him; he surely did. He just didn't want to. He felt guilty ignoring his uncle, but he was just afraid of hearing a terrible truth. His pride was one of the few things that held him together. Most times, it was the only thing that held him together—the pride that he is banished yet still a prince; that he was still entitled to his old life, just not yet. Worthiness is waiting for me after I capture the Avatar was the thought he held on to; the thought he could not let go.

     Iroh's advice may have once again been futile, but surely, he was right in saying that the Duchess Phoenix's true show was going to be magnificent. They had arrived just before the show had begun and gotten seats nearest to the performers. Indeed, not even Zuko could suppress the memory of a show this extravagant. Each segment of the performance was wonderfully chaotic yet, still, united. It was a mess of art, movement, and color fitting together and moving like a system in the body—flowing, working, and intricately beautiful.

     This was the Duchess Phoenix; a circus troupe that when unveiled, revealed a world that was separate from the four nations, from seclusion, from discrimination, and even from war. That was what they were known for. They promoted acceptance and inclusion for while they are indeed renown, they are similarly unknown. Those who join the Duchess Phoenix are sworn to a new life and a new name, a completely clean slate. This is where Sora, Zuko's precious dancer, lived and thrived.

      Sora flowed into the show from above, dangling from a trapeze right before landing. Zuko stiffened; she was in front of him. He leaned closer, squinting to get a better look at her face again as she spun and twirled. And it's funny, because you would think an experienced performer could learn to get used to the stares of his audience, but granted, it is a bit difficult to focus when an audience member was staring daggers into your soul. Quite honestly, Zuko looked like he was planning to murder Sora. It made her laugh amidst her dancing, but through it, Zuko could only see Shei.

      Zuko had always reminisced about the past. Recently, more often than he would like or have ever known. It seemed as if, unconsciously, his mind was so attuned to the past that, like a bleeding wound, it would slip into reality this easily when triggered. Hence, in an audience member and performer's fleeting glances, Zuko could only see Shei Raosho. This time, the memory was from Azula's birthday celebration. He almost laughed at the thought of the memory. 

      Much like those glances and giggles in the circus, here, Shei kept a quiet laugh as she peaked at Zuko who was, at that moment, donning several horrified expressions. These expressions were caused by none other than his exceeding disturbance for Azula's mischievous antics which, on that day, were more intense than usual. Zuko was still seated as before, but no longer next to a stranger and his uncle. He was sitting next to Azula; Shei was a few seats away.

     "Prince Zuko." Shei whispered as loud as she could, "Prince Zuko!"

      Zuko glanced back and forth; she was far, so he wasn't sure if he was the one being called.

     "Zuko!"

     His eyes widened, realizing it was Shei, "Hm?"

     Making eye contact now, Shei said nothing, and instead, made gestures toward her face. She was trying very hard to be discreet as Shei, like any other reasonable mind, was also terrified of the princess's wrath. Zuko was confused though. The scene played out like a table wide game of charades. It was long after, but Zuko eventually understood and composed himself.

     He remembered laughing and bowing toward Shei, "I didn't even realize. Thanks, Shei."

      "What was that, nephew?"

      Zuko flushed; he must have said Shei out loud.

     "Zuko?"

     "I..." He hesitated, "Sorry, it was nothing." 

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

❝I wish it were nothing, but perhaps, if I did entertain the thought (of meeting with Shei again), I might just find someone who truly understands me.❞