𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐲

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍: 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐁𝐎𝐘

❝𝐈𝐓'𝐒 𝐎𝐊𝐀𝐘. 𝐈 𝐆𝐎𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔.❞

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

     Zuko stepped out of the restaurant and into the night--followed by Sora soon after. Scowling, they looked at each other briefly before going separate paths to the square. The square was where both the circus tent and tea shop were. Zuko and Sora continued to walk down two different streets for several more minutes, but the quiet of the late-night was soon interrupted by distant, successive screams. It happened once then a second time, followed by a low rumbling like that of a stampede. Then, it was heard.

     A massive explosion erupted in the distance.

     The banging sound was followed by a bright orange light from far above the houses and buildings. Smoke was rising fast, and screams, cries, and wails got nearer and louder. Zuko had a dreadful, sinking feeling in his stomach, and a part of him told him that certainly, it was from the square. Civilians came pouring into the street—scrambling to get away with horrified expressions.

     "What happened?!" Zuko gripped a nearby running man by the arm.

     "The circus—it was blown up!" The man breathed out between pants.

     "An accident?"

     "I don't know! Let me go!"

     A rush of instinct compelled Zuko to move. He didn't want to wait before it was too late. He ran against the crowd, occasionally crashing into others but still making it through swiftly enough. He turned a corner and met with the square.

    The Duchess Phoenix circus tent was in flames.

     Even there where Zuko stood to look at the damage, civilians were running and pushing against him to get away except for one familiar fellow. It was Sora, just a few steps in front of him; she was on her knees. The flames brightened her tear-stained face. She could not move out of shock. Zuko looked around to see circus performers crowding around in the vicinity, carrying injured peers out of the way, crying, or shocked to the bone. Few civilians stayed behind, wailing about their trapped loved ones that got stuck inside.

      Zuko was not one of these fear-filled folks.

     He had looked at all this for just a moment, heard screaming still from the inside, and decided to push forward into the flame. He came from behind Sora, rushing toward a ripped opening in the tent to enter. Sora saw him and stretched her arm to stop him, but she could not yell loud enough for him to hear above the chaos. She was trembling, but gratefully, Zuko was not.