Chapter 17: She disappeared

Let's pretend, chapter 17

Elise Collins POV

-I need you to marry me...-

I didn't know what to say to that. It's like a huge wave just came out of nowhere and took me back with it to the far end of the ocean. I stayed silent, maybe I heard him wrong?

-Elise?-

"Yes I'm here, I got to go though, can I call you back? I need to..."

-Ok, no need to find excuses. I completely understand. It's okay don't worry... see you in the office-

With that said, he hung up on me before I could even think about what I could answer back. I looked at Aria with huge round eyes "I think I'm in deep!"

"You think?" Aria laughed "What happened? What does he want?"

"He said I need you to marry me; but what the actual fuck? I can't do this I just can't Aria, I'm sure you know what I mean"

"Baby I know but... you just said it yourself, you love him deeply, and more than you ever loved anyone. So what's keeping you from saying yes?"

"Maybe it's the fact that he doesn't love me? Or it could be the fact that he's with me just to please his mother? That can be a real set back. I mean this is marriage we're talking about! It's not a game anymore."

Aria stayed silent she probably didn't want to argue with me when I was still under shock. She got up and looked at me "I'm going to my room, I'll take a bathing suit and hit the pool. I suggest you get ready for your meeting and head to the office. If he tries to talk about it just tell him you're not ready for such a step. I know you never said no to anyone, you're just so kind. But as you said, this isn't a game anymore. I don't want my best friend getting hurt." She planted a kiss on my forehead and went upstairs to change.

An hour later I went to Walton's corp. and went straight to his office, Mary, his assistant didn't even ask if I had an appointment. She had gotten used to me just waltzing in his office like I owned the place. I smiled at her and knocked a couple times before getting in. I saw him standing by the curtain walls looking at the city. My heart skipped a beat and I thought my legs would give up on me when I heard a woman clear her throat. I turned around and saw the one and only Jamie Ortega sitting there all relaxed and looking at me with a raised eyebrow. Zachary also turned around and saw me. He didn't smile like he usually does which gave me a sinking feeling. "Good morning" I said approaching his desk where I started taking out my laptop and the designs I had already printed.

"Good morning Miss Collins. This is Jamie Ortega, a close friend of mine. Jamie, this is Miss Elise Collins, one of our best designers".

The way he introduced me felt so formal and so distant as if he didn't have his tongue in my mouth last night. I quickly composed myself and smiled at Jamie, "nice to meet you Miss Ortega."

"Likewise..." she said looking bored "Is this gonna take long?" she asked Zachary whining a little.

"Not long. We'll head out when I look over at these. Be patient Jamie". I just stood there not wanting to show him how hurt I was. My phone was in my hands and I just needed a minute to breathe so I texted Aria telling her to call me, and thankfully she did. "I'm sorry I need to take this" I excused myself and walked out "Jee Aria, thanks. You saved me again."

-What happened? You couldn't say no huh?-

"I didn't need to. Remember that blonde girl we saw with him in the magazine? She's here in his office. They are going somewhere when he finishes looking at my prints"