Chapter 16

When Frank entered the house, he looked worse than she had ever seen him. He never left the house without putting on makeup to cover his scars, which he was very self conscious about, and he always looked relaxed. The tension was apparent in his face and his scars were very present, even Caroline had never seen them before. Dino carried in his bags and gave a weak smile to Caroline. They both knew that this was bad.

"Hey, Frank," Caroline said walking toward him.

She opened her arms and hugged him. He began to sob which neither Caroline and not even Dino had seen before. "Shhh... it's going to be okay," she whispered.

"I don't deserve you two," he whispered.

Dino hated to see his friend this way, "Frank, it's gonna be alright," he said putting a reassuring hand on Frank's back.

"I left Nancy for this woman... I can't believe how stupid I've been."

"Oh, Frank," Caroline said rubbing his back with her hand.

"I just wanna be happy and nothing I do makes me happy."

Caroline glanced up at Dino, "Hey, Frank, why don't you and I go to the den and get a drink and talk. I'm a good listener."

Frank pulled himself together and kissed Caroline on the cheek, "Thanks, Kid."

"Of course. I'll see you in the morning," she headed upstairs to quiet the baby before going to bed herself while Dino and Frank headed down to the den to enjoy some Jack Daniels.

Dino and Frank sat on the sofa and while Frank had calmed down a little bit, he still spoke shakily and with tears threatening to escape those ol' blue eyes.

"Frank, Ava's not what's going to make you happy."

"What is then? My kids are grown and are starting their own lives... They don't need me that much. I don't have a wife. I'm gonna die a miserable, lonely man."

"No, you're not. You know why? Because we love you. You're like a brother to me, Frank. Cara loves it when you visit and I'm sure she'll take the extra babysitter," he laughed, "We haven't had a moment alone since Sofia was born."

"Dino, this is a special time. I don't wanna intrude."

"You're not. You're a part of this family. Hell, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. You've supported Cara and I in our darkest moments. Christ, me with the heart attack and then when we lost the babies..."

Frank hugged Dino, "You're like a brother to me too, ya know?" Frank asked.

"I know. We're gonna be okay. You're gonna be okay. Come on, let's get some sleep. It's been a long night."

Dino and Frank began heading upstairs and heard the baby still crying while Caroline gently sang, "Goodnight, Sweetheart." She was obviously exhausted by the way her voice sounded.

"Go to bed, Dino. I got this," Frank said quietly patting Dino on the back.

Frank peaked into the nursery with a soft knock, "Hey, let me give it a shot. You should get some sleep."

"No, it's okay. Thanks, Frank," she smiled weakly.

"I mean it. I helped raise three children. I got this."

Caroline passed him the baby and thanked him. She then made her way to bed and crawled in next to Dino. "Hey, Baby," he whispered.

"Frank said he'd take care of Sofia."

Dino yawned, "That's great."

"How is he?"

"He's gonna be okay. You don't mind that I told him he could stay here?"

"Not at all. Frank's a good guy."

"Okay, good," Dino kissed her neck, "Goodnight. I love you."

"Love you too, Honey."

A few months later life had become fairly normal. When the news finally broke that Ava and Frank were divorcing, it had been difficult, but since then, Frank had been good. He would do the grocery shopping or watch Sofia while Caroline went for groceries. He helped out as much as possible and then Dino and Frank would go golfing. As Cara and Dino approached their third anniversary, Frank offered to watch Sofia for the weekend so Cara and Dino could spend a whole weekend alone. Caroline was hesitant at first to leave their young daughter for the first time; she was only six months old after all, but Frank promised she would be fine.

So, on their anniversary, which fell on a Friday, Dino and Caroline departed for a quick getaway to the beach. Caroline looked more beautiful than ever. Her chestnut locks were fixed perfectly and she wore a white sundress with flowers on it and matching heels. Dino wore khakis and a white polo shirt. "You look very handsome, Honey," she smiled as he drove them to their destination.

"I was thinking about how beautiful you look, Baby."

She smiled at him with a charming glimmer in her eyes. "Hey, I have something to tell you."

"Hmm?" he asked keeping his eyes on the road.

"I'm expecting again."

"What?" he exclaimed pulling the car over to kiss her, "So soon?"

"It's early, but I missed my time... and so I went to the doctor and they said... well, we're having another baby."

He kissed her, "I'm so thrilled, Cara. I love Sofia so much. She's changed my life for the better. When is he or she due?"

"It's too early, but probably in eight months, maybe a little less."

Dino kissed her again. He was really over the moon, "What a way to start the weekend!"

She smiled at him. He was the perfect husband and an even better father. She couldn't believe how lucky she was and how lucky her children were.