Chapter 8: One Ridiculous Night

It was about 2 in the morning when Toon woke up, facing the wall. He wasn't even sure what woke him up, it happened just so suddenly. Trying to go back to sleep was proven useless too. So he rolled and faced the other way of the bed, only to find that Wild was missing.

At first he paid no attention to it, thinking that he might come back soon or something, but he never did. So the ten year old sat on the bed, looking around. And turns out, Twi was gone too, along with Wolf. This was starting to get suspicious.

Checking the top of the bunk bed was another natural thing to do. And hey, Sky and Time weren't on the bed too. What in Hyrule could be happening?

So he got out of the bed, and tried searching for his brothers and the wolf. The first thing he did was to look out to the balcony. To his surprise, Wild was squatting near a pot of plants, poking the soil with a stick.

"What are you doing?" Toon asked and his older brother jumped.

"Toon! What are you doing?" he asked back when his shock was over.

"No, answer me. I asked first." Toon scowled and yawned.

"Well, I just remembered that I need to bring an insect for school tomorrow. So I'm looking for a beetle or something here." Wild said timidly, going back into poking-the-dirt-until-I-find-a-bug.

Toon facepalmed.

"Of all time, you had to remember it now? You can just ask Sky for one of his bugs or something. He has an entire collection of living bugs, doesn't he?"

"Well, I kiiiinda didn't think about that... but he wasn't in bed either when I checked, so I don't think I can ask for one." Wild smiled sheepishly and sneezed.

"Do it in the morning, dummy! And also, was Time and Twi and Wolf missing too when you looked?" the youngest of the Links asked.

"No, they're sleeping. Are they gone too?" Wild asked.

Toon nodded.

"Where could they be?"

"That's exactly why I'm searching."

"Oh wait, but come to think of it, I don't remember Sky going to bed tonight." Wild tried to remember and sneezed once again.

"Ah! He was studying for that test, wasn't he? I bet he fell asleep in the reading room." Toon said gloomily as Wild sucked his snot through his nose, trying not to make his nose runny.

"Ew, go clean your nose or something. And don't come back here, you're clearly cold!" Toon said and pushed him to the door, back inside the house.

Wild rubbed his bare arms, trying to get warmer as he headed back to their bedroom. Now Toon walked to the reading room and found Sky, curled up into a ball on the sofa with a book on his lap and trails of drool on his face.

"Oi, wake up." Toon nudged him, and to his surprise, Sky woke up just as he said that. He's usually so hard to wake up, so this is new.

"Huh? What are you doing, Toon?" Sky said drowsily.

"I bet you haven't even started studying and fell asleep. Now get to bed, it's 2 a.m.!" Toon barked.

"What? Oh, I've studied all right. But okay." Sky said simply and wiped the drool off his face, then he walked slowly to the door back to his room.

"Seriously, this is like playing hide and seek in the middle of the night. And now I'm thirsty." Toon thought to himself, determined to find the rest of his brothers but planning to get a drink first.

He walked downstairs to the kitchen, intending to grab some water when he heard a noise. He, being the simple boy he is, didn't think to arm himself with anything. His confidence that his house is perfectly safe is 100%.