Yakuza 22: Reflect

Eri Aisaka

I dialed Dad's phone. It rang twice before he answered.

"Hello?" he spoke on the other line.

"Dad, are you still at the hospital?" I asked with a worried tone. It took him a while before he answered.

"Yes," he said.

"Is she okay?" I asked.

"Yes, dear. Though she didn't wake up yet," he said.

"I'm coming then," I said.

"Aisaka, no need, princess," he immediately replied.

"But Dad!" I couldn't help but raise my voice.

"Princess..." he paused for a while.

"At least wait for me then, child," he continued.

"Yes, Dad," I answered.

I went back to take a bath and change. I waited for 20 minutes, and Dad's car stopped in front of me. I immediately went inside the car.

"Let's go, Dad," I said.

He nodded at the driver, and we went on our way. It took us another 20 minutes to reach the hospital. My dad led us to her room. Inside her room, a lot of tubes were connected to her body. She is still asleep.

I just sat beside her bed. Her head was wrapped with bandages. I ran my fingers through her cheeks. The cut along her cheek was covered. I feel so guilty and enraged that because of me, she is in here, in this situation.

"Rave..." I whispered as I took the seat beside her bed.

Yet she remained still. Sound asleep. Quietly breathing.

"I'm s-sorry," I said, then I burst into tears.

This time, I didn't care if my dad saw me like this. This is my fault, all mine. She is here because of me. I was weak, and I can't even protect myself.

It was almost two hours since we got here, and she was still asleep. The doctor came to check on her status, and he said we should not worry because she would wake up soon.

"Aisaka dear, let's go eat first," my dad persuaded me as he approached.

"I'm not hungry, Dad," I responded.

"You need to eat, my child, or you will not have the strength to look after her while she's in here. Come on now, kid, Raijo will look after her while we go grab some food," Dad said, trying to convince me.

I sighed. Dad's right. I need my nutrients if I'm going to stay by her side. I stood up and followed Dad out of the room. Raijo was left inside.

It's been a day now since she was brought here, and she is still not awake. I've been missing her for almost a week, and when I finally saw her, she needed rest, so I wasn't able to talk to her. And now this? Now I am missing her more and more.

*Phone Ringing*

I picked up my phone, and it was Dad asking if she woke up. I wish she would. I told him she was still asleep. Dad said he'd just sent me a change of clothes, and then after that he ended the call.

I was still holding her hands, but she is not holding it back. Still no sign of her waking up. Hayyy. After a while, I dozed off.

"I'm sorry," I said as tears ran down my face.

She is holding my hands.

"It's okay, my dear child. Everything's gonna be okay," she said while trying to catch her breath.

"But mom..." she cut me off.

"Shhhh. Aisaka, remember, I love you always. Wait for your dad, I know he is on his way," she said as she coughed up some blood.

I closed my eyes, and when I opened them, I saw Rave's face.

"You're safe now," she said as she carried me up in a bridal style.

I hugged her tight. When she stood straight, I saw her clothes covered in blood, then I heard a loud bang before I closed my eyes.

When I opened my eyes, I was surrounded by black color, or more likely, I was in a black room with just the light on me and a mirror in front of me. I walked up to the mirror, and the first reflection to appear was my mom. She just smiled at me. I moved closer, and the reflection changed; now it's Rave's. She is smiling a different one from those smiles I usually saw from her. Her smile was full of contentment. I touched the mirror, and the reflection changed to mine. I took a hard look at myself. I looked pathetic. My eyes are bulging from crying. I broke down in tears and fell down on my knees.

Am I really this pathetic? Is crying all I can do? Am I always the one being saved by the people I care about the most?

This is enough! I'm done being the victim. Being the one saved all the time. This time I am going to save the ones I love.

I stood up and looked in the mirror. I smiled at my realization. I closed my eyes tightly.

I heard a grunting sound, and when I opened my eyes, I felt her grip tighten. I looked at her, and she opened her eyes.

"Rave! You're awake!" I shouted in glee, which made Ryu come running in.

"Are you okay, young mistress?" Ryu asked in a panic.

"Call the doctor. Rave is awake," I said.

Ryu rushed to call the doctor. After a minute or two, the doctor came in. He checked up on her and made sure she was really awake. After 10 minutes, he looked at us.

"She is gonna be okay. We just need to run some tests to make sure she is really okay," the doctor said and smiled at us.

After that, the doctor excused himself. I went back to her side and I smiled as she looked at me.

"I'm glad you're okay, young mistress," she said.

"Shhh. I should be the one saying that Rave," I smiled at her.

After an hour, Dad came in.

"How are you, kiddo?" he asked Rave.

"I'm going to be okay, sensei. I'll be back on duty after I'm discharged, sir," she answered.

"No need to rush, kiddo. Okay?" Dad said.

"But sir..." I cut her off.

"You don't need to rush, Rave. I'll start training so you won't need to protect me all the time," I said.