Part 8: Crikey, I Love You

Abbie rushed to the bus as the final bell rang. She wanted to get home as quickly as possible to get ready for her special night tonight. She was beginning to feel butterflies in her stomach, with anticipation of what was to come.
"Hello Abbie how was school today?" The bus driver asked in what felt like a very slow manner.
"Good" Abbie said with speed as she ran to her usual seat.
The bus driver gave a worried look through the mirror near the bus ceiling at Abbie's nervous expression. She wasn't usually like this. She usually listened to Twenty One Pilots as she stared out the bus window. The bus driver was aware she wasn't like other girls. The bus driver moved along, knowing Abbie would eventually be ok. The bus engine started and they began to move. As they drove along the Utah streets, they came to a stop.
"Sorry guys I'm just going to run and get some snacks from the gas station real quick." The bus driver shouted.
"WHAT?!" Abbie yelled.
This has never happened before. The one time she needs to be home as soon as possible is when the driver makes a snack stop?? Abbie needed AT LEAST 4 hours to get ready for tonight. But she had an idea. As the bus driver stepped into the gas station convenience store, Abbie stepped into the front and sat in the driver's seat. She knew how to drive a car, a bus probably wasn't much different. She started the engine back up and looked at the different buttons and levers in front of her.
"This shouldn't be too hard!" Abbie reassured herself.
"Hey what are you doing?!" A random student shouted.
"Are you serious right now!! You can't drive a freaking bus!" Another peer yelled.
Abbie ignored these people bringing her down and decided to go for it. She stepped on the gas and began the usual route. Abbie cruised down the road, knowing that though she is breaking the law, it is worth the risk.
"Stop the bus!!!!" The students yelled.
"You wouldn't understand! I need to get home!" Abbie spoke through the bus intercom as she drove.
Abbie arrived at her house, putting the school bus in park.
"Bye guys!" Abbie waved at the screaming, angry, confused students.
She went inside, leaving a bus full of students in front of her house. She met her mom looking out the front window confused.
"Why is your bus staying there for so long?" She said.
"Weird I have no idea. Oh well gotta go get ready Mom I'm going with a friend to watch a movie tonight." Abbie said changing the subject.
The bus driver would find a way to get here somehow. It would all be fine. She rushed upstairs to her room and started with her makeup. She wanted something subtle, but something cute. She decided to go with her normal makeup look, not to look too dressy. She went onto her hair next, curling it in a casual, fun way. She then got into comfy clothes, some sweatpants and a leopard print t-shirt to remind Robert how much they had in common. She decided to keep her leaf shoes because he was so impressed before. This was perfect! Casual, comfortable, but still cute! Like she thought, four hours had passed, and it was time for her to go. Before she left, there was a knock at the door.
"ABBIEEE GET OVER HERE RIGHT NOW!!! Her Mom screamed.
The police were at the doorway with her angry-looking bus driver.
"Please don't tell me you drove your school bus home and made these kids wait on a curb for four hours to get ready to hang out with friends..." Amber pleaded with Abbie.
Abbie instantly filled with dread.
"yes...........mom........I did" Abbie whispered with shame.
"And you really think that I'm going to let you go out tonight?!" Amber asked.
"I'm so sorry officers this will never happen again." Her mother reassured as the police left.
"Go to your room right now..." Her mom demanded.
Abbie ran to her room and crashed onto her bed, crying into her pillow. Her time to be with Robert one on one was ruined. This is all she wanted in life and now it was taken away from her. She was not about to let this chance go to waste.
"Sorry Mom, but I have to do this."
Abbie blew up a spare blow up body she had stored in her closet, and put clothes and a wig onto it, making it look exactly like her. She tucked her new twin into her bed and locked the door. Abbie cleaned herself up from her mental breakdown and climbed through the window, careful not to make a sound. She got into her car and drove away from her furious mother. Just like breaking the law, breaking her mother's rules was worth it. Hopefully her mom wouldn't even notice. She rolled down the windows and turned on the radio as the perfect song came on for the situation.
"I don't wanna go to school, I just wanna break the rules!" She sang.
Abbie arrived at Robert/Hannah's house and knocked at the door, and there he was. Robert's soft, blonde hair and kind gaze welcomed Abbie into their humble home.
"Alrahght! Let's go to the living room! I made some snacks here. I hope you lahike them."
He gave her popcorn and his favorite Aussie treats to try.
"Robert this is so nice I'm so excited!"
He guided her downstairs to the couch and gave her a blanket to use with a safari scene printed onto one side.
"Where's Hannah?" Abbie asked with curiosity, hopeful to reveal what this situation really meant to Robert.
"Oh she's upstairs doing homework." Robert replied.
Maybe this was a date after all! But she didn't want to assume too soon. Robert started the movie. They laughed, ate treats, and had such a good time. Near the middle of the movie, their hands drew near. "Was this it?" Abbie thought. She was panicking on the inside but trying to be calm on the outside. Their hands slowly touched the other's, close to actually holding hands. Who knew Happy Feet's dancing would bring such a strong connection. Abbie felt his firm, comforting hand, warming her hand and her heart. This felt like a dream, it's exactly what she wanted. They continued to hold hands through the rest of the movie until the credits began to roll. Robert suddenly got up.
"I want to show you something. Follow me."
Abbie followed Robert as he led her to the living room and grabbed a guitar.
"When I'm not caring for and learning about animals, I'm here, strumming my guitar." Robert explained.
"Wow Robert, that's incredible." Abbie exclaimed.
Robert strummed a G chord to warm up as he smiled at Abbie.
"I wrote this mahyself. It's called, "Crikey, Ah love you"
Abbie was so ready to hear him sing his heart out.
"I look over there and I see you, you're like the honey to my bee like the monkey to my tree. Aye did you know that koalas have fingerprints aye did you know that a snail can sleep for three years. Aye did you know that giraffes have black tongues but also did you know that crikey, Ah love you." Robert sang.
Robert poured out his whole soul in front of Abbie. He sang these words into Abbie's heart. Abbie, deeply listening to these poetic words strung together with peace, serenity, and pure love, was suddenly interrupted by something. It was Ivy, busting through on her hands and legs.
"RUFFF RUFF I SMELL LEAVES!!!" Ivy barked.
Ivy pounced onto Abbie's feet, devouring up her homemade nature shoes.
"What the heck Ivy what are you doing here?! Please stop chewing on my shoes!" Abbie shouted in surprise.
"Abbie Ahim so sorry! Come here girl come here!!" Robert said, patting his lap and putting his guitar aside.
"Sorry, I'm so confused. What is going on here?" Abbie questioned as Ivy sat on the couch in between the two.
"Robert adopted me when my old owners threw me out! I'm ever so grateful to him!" Ivy explained with puppy whines, yearning to be petted.
"Awww Ivy! That's so nahice! Haha. I'm so glad to be her new owner. She is a great companion." Robert added on.
This could not be real. Ivy being adopted by her crush sounds like a made up story a desperate teen would write in her fanfiction. Abbie knew Ivy was half dog, but this was just too much for her to handle. Abbie did not go out of her way to drive a school bus and deal with the police to end up here, talking about Robert's new addition to the family.
"You know what... my mom just texted and she wants me home. Thanks for the great time Robert! That was very fun!" Abbie smiled as she lied, hoping that her leaving early wouldn't discourage Robert.
"Wait no come back! We could play fetch or something!" Ivy said.
Abbie left out of the front door, wishing with her heart that this wasn't real. She drove home confused, infuriated. She respected Ivy and her animal identity, but she was just jealous of how much time she was now spending with Robert. Was Ivy really doing this because she was kicked out, or did she have a hidden motive? Abbie might never know. She was probably just overthinking this... I mean, Ivy is one of her best friends after all.