Part 12: At Fault

"This is your fault Abbie. Before you came into Robert's life, he was fine. You led Tony here. You put my owner at risk." Ivy said in a bold, monotone voice. Ivy continued her strong stance, gun in hand, not blinking as she stared down her newly realized enemy.
"I am a loyal dog. This is what loyal dogs do." Ivy went on, trying to explain the reason why she turned on her close friend.
The room was silent as decisions were being made of what to do next. Abbie could only hold her hands up in the air, hoping that Ivy would remember all of the times they had together as best friends.
Robert could not believe his eyes. His mind rewinded back in time, where he adopted Ivy when she was a tired, helpless dog looking for a home. How could it be possible that his playful pup evolved into a threatening wolf? He had no idea. And now she was trying to dispose of the person he loved most. This could only be the opposite of loyalty.
Tony stepped back in slight fear of what was to happen next. With a gun, Ivy was now a weapon of destruction. Tony wanted to tackle Robert to the floor and get the job done with his own hands, but he knew Ivy would protect him at all costs, to the point of killing her best friend. Tony could stand and watch, but he could not intervene, or he would be the next one to die.
"Ahvy what are you doing. Please calm down girl. Come to me." Robert motioned his hands for Ivy to come to him, where he could pet her and help her calm down. This had to be a mistake, an effect of her stress from this terrorizing incident.
Ivy didn't move a muscle, for once not complying to Robert's commands. Ivy usually followed Robert without question, but now made her own path out of love and protection, ready to guard him at all costs from potential threats.
"Ivy I had no idea this was going to happen. I barely ever talked to Tony and I don't know why he is doing this. Please... believe me." Abbie pleaded with Ivy to put the gun down.
"If anything, Tony is the one to blame. Do you really think I would do this to Robert?" Abbie continued.
"To the one I love?"
Abbie grabbed Robert's hand as proof to her innocence and how she never meant any of this to happen. She believed that if she proved her affection and trust somehow, this situation might end and everything could go back to the way it was. But again, Ivy did not back down.
Ivy's hands started to shake in indecisiveness as she gripped the gun tightly. She did not want Robert to lose Abbie, but if Robert continued to live like this, who knows how many more times he could come close to death. This is for Robert. She believed she owed him her life for taking her in that day. His safety was above everything, her top priority.
The tense air continued to give the four individuals chills up their spines. One wrong move could lead to ultimate death and pain.
"Ahvy don't do this." Robert said.
He tried to think of any way he could end this once and for all. His mind went back to his animal training in Australia, where he learned everything there is to know about most animal species. His brain searched for facts about dogs, what they did in stressful states, and how to calm them down. He continued to try to locate the perfect solution, when his mind came across the strategy of distraction. Robert looked around him, and saw Ivy's favorite dog toy, a bright green, stuffed leaf, and brought it close to him with his foot, hoping Ivy wasn't noticing his subtle movement.
"Distract Ivy for a second, trust me." Robert whispered to Abbie in the most quiet voice possible.
All Abbie needed to do was take a step forward to make Ivy force her full attention onto something other than Robert.
"Don't move Abbie." Ivy commanded, feeling a rush of confidence in herself and her abilities.
As this was happening Robert bent down as slowly as he could to pick up the toy next to him and hold it behind his back. He stood back up hoping and praying the dog toy would solve all of their problems.
Abbie stepped back, reversing the act she did in effort to distract Ivy, just like Robert said.
"Follow my lead." Robert again asked of Abbie.
With all of his strength and enthusiasm Robert strongly waved the leaf toy in the air, pressing on the button in the middle, making it create a welcoming and fun noise that Ivy might not be able to resist.
"ITS YOUR FRIEND LARRY THE LEAF, COME PLAY WITH ME!!!!!!!" The automated noise sounded through the room.
Ivy tried not to cripple under this immense pressure that was introduced. Robert somehow had her favorite toy that she loved and played with every day. So many wonderful memories of playing with Robert were attached to the toy, that it radiated positive and bright energy. It gave off the opposite of what she was feeling right now, scared, protective, her dog tail between her legs. This toy could take her away from all of her fears, but at the same time, Robert might be at risk. She didn't know what to do.
"You want this girl?! Come and get it!!!" Robert shouted over to Ivy as he threw it across the room, into the kitchen.
Ivy couldn't do this anymore. She barked and ran happily towards her toy without a care in the world, dropping the gun onto the floor. She immediately sank her teeth into her leaf toy, and shook her head side to side, enjoying the time she had to play and escape from the anxiety the gun gave her.
As the group finished watching Ivy let her dog instincts kick in, they were now aware of the gun lying still on the tan carpet. They all ran for it without a thought. Robert noticed Tony gaining up on him, and realized that they would be back to where they started if Tony were to gain the pistol back. That could not happen. Robert tackled Tony to the side, creating the perfect window for Abbie to grab the gun. Tony struggled under Robert, trying his best to get out of his hold. Abbie grabbed the gun and pointed it towards Tony as Robert got up from the ground. Tony now has limited options of movement, but he knew Abbie and what she was capable of.
"You wouldn't shoot me." Tony laughed.
"Now that I know who you really are, trust me I would." Abbie said, hoping to scare Tony. She would never want to hurt or even kill anybody.
"Oh please. Give me the gun and nobody gets hurt." Tony relaxed and stepped closer to Abbie, his hand held out towards her.
She had to decide what to do now, or he would continue to seek to kill Robert.
Tony took more steps forward, believing Abbie did not have the mental capacity to shoot a person. But he was proved wrong. The sound of the bullet bursting through the air was created once more, as it soared into Tony's skin. Tony fell to the glass covered floor, gripping his thigh. Abbie shot him right in the middle of his right leg, where he was not able to move. Tony wailed in pain. Abbie gave the gun to Robert, not wanting the responsibility in her hands.
"Are you ok Abbie?" Robert asked with concerned eyes.
"Yeah, I think I'm ok. But are you ok? You were the one who got shot!" Abbie replied, worriedly staring at Robert's arm where the bullet still laid.
"Yeah I'll be fine.." Robert said, holding back any signs of pain.
"What are we going to do with him?" Abbie motioned her hand towards Tony, still lying on the floor, holding his leg as it pulsed with pain.
"Here I know." Robert said as he ripped off part of their curtains and tied Tony's arms behind his back. He was now immobile for a surety.
Abbie grabbed her phone off of the coffee table and called the police. As Abbie told the police all that had happened, Robert walked towards Ivy, who was still playing with her leaf toy.
"Ahivy what happened back there. You were a different dog. The Ahvy I know would never try to hurt anybody." Robert said.
"I'm so very sorry Robert. I just want to keep you safe, that's all." Ivy said back with shame.
"Well one thing you can do to protect me, is let me live my life with the girl I love, and protect her at all costs." Robert said with compassion.
"If that is your wish, Robert." Ivy smiled.
Robert got up and met eyes with Abbie, who had just got off the phone. Robert ran to her and gave her the biggest hug he could possibly give. Abbie returned the hug. In that moment, she knew everything would be alright.