Nine

"You must be Dan." The guy, Chris, said amiably, holding out his hand. Dan smiled in return, shaking his hand politely.

PJ was just standing there, his hands stuffed into his pockets and his gaze stuck to the floor. "You okay, Peej?" He asked worriedly. PJ looked up at him, smiling stiffly.

"I'm fine." he said, then glances back over to where Chris was standing. "I, uh, didn't know you were gonna be here, Chris." he said, chewing his lip nervously. What the hell was up with him?

"Well, I guess we were both surprised then." Chris said, not the least bit fazed by PJs slight attitude.

They probably looked weird, standing in the middle of the club, Chris staring at PJ and Dan staring at the both of them.

He has to be an ex boyfriend, Dan thought. There seemed to be a lot of tension between them that could only be explained by a past relationship. He felt kind of awkward, encroaching on this moment, but it's not like he had anywhere else to go.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" PJ said after a moment, staring at Chris expectantly. Chris nodded, and Dan stared as them as they left, pushing through the crowd and leaving Dan by himself.

What the hell was he supposed to do now? Why was even here, if PJ was just going to leave him on his own to go and talk to some other guy.

He looked around at all the other people, dancing and laughing and drinking their lives away. He kind of wished he could be more like them, not caring about any of their current problems and just letting go for a night, but he was nowhere near that sort of attitude. He had way too much to deal with.

He stood there for at least twenty minutes, just timidly staring at everyone else. He felt so out of place. What the hell was PJ doing, and why was he taking so long? Wasn't this suppose to be a night for just them? He couldn't just ditch Dan like that.

Dan waited a moment before finally moving, heading in the direction that PJ and Chris had gone.

There was a short hallway near the back of the club that most likely led to the bathrooms, and there was a small group of people just loitering in the space, talking, making out, or in one case, doing some kind of lethal shots. Dan maneuvered around them carefully, searching for his boyfriend, and he caught sight of his curly dark hair amongst the crowd. Dan pushed past different people until he was a stones throw away from PJ, but there were two people blocking his way, fiercely making out. He couldn't push past them for the life of him. But he could hear PJ talking to Chris.

Dan wasn't someone who usually eavesdropped on other people. He liked to keep to himself, so that other people would do the same to him. But this was his boyfriend talking to another guy, possibly an ex boyfriend. He had some right.

"-said you were going out of town to visit family." He heard Chris say, sounding vaguely distressed.

"I know." PJ said. "I just, got a bit delayed. And Dan wanted to go out, hang out and-"

"Stop trying to pretend like he's a friend, PJ." Chris cut him off angrily. "I saw the way you guys were dancing, and you know damn well you were gonna kiss him if I hadn't come up."

"Chris." PJ said. "Chris, I don't know what to say."

"Just tell me the truth. Are you cheating on me with him?"

There was a pause, and Dan was waiting anxiously for Peej to answer, and hoping that he wouldn't say yes, that Dan was some kind of side relationship that didn't mean anything.

"I'm cheating on him with you."

And fuck, that couldn't have hurt any worse. Knowing that Dan wasn't good enough to be faithful to.

Dan shoved past the couple, not caring at all that they cursed him out, all he could see was PJ and Chris, both looking over at him in surprise, them guilt and worry and pity. He didn't fucking need that.

"Dan-" PJ said, but Dan cut him off sharply.

"I don't want to hear a single thing from you, PJ." he said, almost crying with anger, and his whole body was shaking. "I really hope you had fun tonight, because it was shitty for me."

And then he left, ignoring PJ as he called out over the music for Dan to "wait, please, just let m me explain!" He didn't look anywhere but the floor as he hurried trough the throng of people, to the door and out into the dark, wet night. And headed to the only place he knew he'd find comfort in, and maybe even cheer up a bit.

He headed towards Phil.

~ ~ ~

a/n: oh. Shit.

Lots of people have been asking me to update this, and it's midnight on a school night, and this was so bad. But yay, and update. Hope it was alright babes, I'll see ya... sometime. Peace :3